PDA

View Full Version : Convert Parking Lights

HondaBoy
07-05-2003, 12:40 PM
i was wondering if anybody had done this. the smoked/clear parking lights arent very bright with those small wedge type blubs. i did buy some LED ones that i havent gotten to see at night yet. i was thinking that i could convert the plug into one that could fit the H3 fog light bulb. that would be nice and bright, but would that melt the plastic? if not, i think i would try that. its not too hard to do. quite easy considering i would cut a few wires and solder in the new plug. i want to try this, but im not shur about how the plastic and lens will stand to heat. anybody tried this?

jlaccord89lxi
07-05-2003, 03:07 PM
as long as the bulb isn't touching the plastic, it should be fine. Its just like taillights...they have larger bulbs closer to the plastic lenses and they don't melt.

HondaBoy
07-10-2003, 02:50 PM
i found some nice halogen bulbs used for fog lights that are almost exactly the same size as the 168 and 197. i think those are them. i can make it to where it will work. it needs to be 12 volt and im not shur on the wattage. is it 8 watts?

NXRacer
07-10-2003, 03:15 PM
speaking of which, does anybody have diagrams/info on how to make the front bumper lights run all the time? has this already been discussed somewhere? is this a noob question? :lol

POS carb
07-10-2003, 04:14 PM
1. yes that would probably melt, I am using LED white bulbs and they give off a very crisp light

2. wattage doesn't matter but watch the heat, those bulbs get hot, I have a 20 watt for my dome light and it get's kinda hot

2. yea I have my bumper lights as 2-ways (like brake lights) but I ghetto rigged it like 2 years ago by soldering the wires to the bulbs and it broke on the driver's side the other day, I'll get some pics of how I wired it

87Hybrid
07-10-2003, 07:10 PM
The heat from the H3 bulb will most likly melt your housing, I wouldn't try it.
If you wan't to brighten them up LED's are the way to go.

HondaBoy
07-14-2003, 12:18 PM
i already tried LED 197/168 s and they turned out purple-ish blue. i wanted bright white. i think im going to order some LEDs from jamstrait. thats the brand i have for my tail light LEDs. i put those purple-ish blue LEDs in where the lisence plate lights go. they look pretty cool in there. im going to make new lenses for there so it will shine brighter. the lense thats there isnt all clear cuz it has that rough surface to defuse the light or something. and if i do order those LEDs, i think i will go ahead and order some for the blinkers in orange as well.

SiR
07-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by HondaBoy
i already tried LED 197/168 s and they turned out purple-ish blue. i wanted bright white. i think im going to order some LEDs from jamstrait. thats the brand i have for my tail light LEDs. i put those purple-ish blue LEDs in where the lisence plate lights go. they look pretty cool in there. im going to make new lenses for there so it will shine brighter. the lense thats there isnt all clear cuz it has that rough surface to defuse the light or something. and if i do order those LEDs, i think i will go ahead and order some for the blinkers in orange as well.

Keep us posted, I wanna see how they look like.

HondaBoy
07-16-2003, 11:44 PM
i maybe order those blinding white LEDs and some nice orange ones soon. all my tails are in LEDs, only red. need blinkers now and parking lights. i may convert the old sockets from the courtesy lights to ones like new accords have. also, im going to put reflector in the door lights so they are brighter. also with the dome light and others. should look good when its done. for now, im doing easy stuff, like interior and lighting. cant afford painting the car and rims yet. as for the LEDs in the lisence plate, i will take pix cuz it looks realy cool at night.