PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen tegra

jlaccord89lxi
07-05-2003, 02:42 PM
this may sound like a dumb question, but i'll ask anyway. Does the first gen integra have throttle body or multi-port injection? I know that even some of the late 80's/early 90's civic's still had a single throttle body assembly so i was thinking the integras may have that too even though they are DOHC.

PhydeauX
07-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Its pgm-fi multiport, similar setup to whats on the LX-i.

andy

jlaccord89lxi
07-06-2003, 05:19 PM
that's what i thought. The reason i asked was because there was one in the paper for $250 and i was gonna buy it and use it for racing but to race, your car must be carbeurated or throttle body...not FI. I saw some first gen tegra engines on ebay and one looked like it had a similar throtle body setup as the pre-91 civics, but i must have been mistaken. Thanks for the info.

2old_honda
07-06-2003, 08:15 PM
you could convert it to dual DCOE's pretty easily. I believe that someone makes a DCOE manifold for it.

Blue Impact
07-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by jlaccord89lxi
throttle body...not FI.

Don't beat me up for asking, but don't these two go together or like they're one thing?

2old_honda
07-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Blue Impact
Don't beat me up for asking, but don't these two go together or like they're one thing? nope. throttle body injection (TBI) has one or two injectors injecting fuel into the throttle body, where it is then sucked into the engine through the intake manifold. Think of it like a fuel injected carb.
Multiport fuel injection has a injector in each intake runner.

here is a pic of a multiport intake manifold. notice a injector on each intake runner
http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_d1cbcb2bc799281447931aaf2a5e4d01/i-2_B.JPG

here is a pic of a TBI manifold (the throttle body is removed) you can see that there are no holes for injectors. the fuel and air are mixed right in the throttle body.
http://ebay3.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_1c630d63372e508074af08e60171e66c/i-1.JPG

Blue Impact
07-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Thanks for explaining. I didn't know that before, but now I do.

jlaccord89lxi
07-07-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by 2old_honda
you could convert it to dual DCOE's pretty easily. I believe that someone makes a DCOE manifold for it.

that would be a good idea, but unfortunately, the engines (not to mention the entire car) have to be stock...completely UNmodified. i guess i'll just look around some more. Thanks for the help,

PhydeauX
07-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Completely stock and no cars with factory equiped multiport efi? What kind of racing are you doing?

andy

jlaccord89lxi
07-07-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by PhydeauX
Completely stock and no cars with factory equiped multiport efi? What kind of racing are you doing?

andy

It's basically a bunch of pre-92 civics...not sure which generation that is...driving around the oval track as fast as they can with their stock engines/manifolds etc, and all the glass and lights removed except the winsheild, and a number painted on the sides! That's the best way i can explain it. They aren't all civics, but 95% of them are (either regular or CRX's. There are a few oddballs in there too like a 3gee, a lude, the odd nissan, and even an old subaru. They are called the "Thunder" class and they are a little bit faster than the "Lightning" class (thunder & lightning haha :) ) which is everything else that can't really keep up with the civics OR if you are a rookie, they keep you in the lightning class for the first few weekends till you get some track time. My best friends brother is in the lightning class with his 89 Hyundai Excel ( the only Hyundai out there!!!) and he does pretty well. As far as the multiport-efi goes, the fuel pressure in that type of set-up is too high and could cause various problems if any of the cars were to get in a big wreck. With throttle-body or carbeuration, the fuel/air pressure is less, unfortunatly creating less HP, but, therefore, reducing the risk of fire and explosions. They require the cars to be completely stock because the whole point of it is to have fun and not spend a ton of money on your car. We all know the huge aftermarket for civics and if they let people modify their cars it would be unfair to the people who couldn't afford it and to the people who don't have civics in the first place. I took some pictures yesterday of some of the cars in the pits where i was (including the funky taxi-cab-3gee)...but i don't think i took many of the cars on the track because we are behind a fence and they wouldn't have turned out. I will get someone to post when i get them developed next week (still got a film camera). Hope that answers your question.

PhydeauX
07-07-2003, 08:26 PM
I'll assume that there's a displacement limit on this racing as well then. I'd look for an old corolla with a 2t-g, very rare most likely even more so in canada, but its a 1.6 8 valve twin cam and rear wheel drive if that qualifies for the class. I remember there being a twin carb version of the teg, but I don't remember if it was 1st or 2nd gen or wether it was sold in our hemisphere.

andy

jlaccord89lxi
07-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by PhydeauX
I'll assume that there's a displacement limit on this racing as well then. I'd look for an old corolla with a 2t-g, very rare most likely even more so in canada, but its a 1.6 8 valve twin cam and rear wheel drive if that qualifies for the class. I remember there being a twin carb version of the teg, but I don't remember if it was 1st or 2nd gen or wether it was sold in our hemisphere.

andy

i don't know about any displacement rule. I'm pretty sure they have to be front drive, 4cylinders. I am hopeing to find a 3g hatch for it. It won't be the fastest out there, but it'll look a hell of a lot better than any of these civics!!!:super: Too bad about the integra though, even if it was carbeurated, it would still kick ass on the track.