PDA

View Full Version : AC question

danronian
07-06-2003, 07:57 AM
When I was at the beach sitting in traffic in 96 degree heat, I turned on the Air Con. and when I got to a stop the brake pedal would start to drop until it hit the floor. It seems to me that the relay(or whatever it is) that turns up the idle for the air con. isnt working. The engine also runs real rough when the air con is on when it is parked, almost like it wanted to stall. My friends tells me its something more then a vacumm problem, but I really dont know. The car does have 148k on it so is this a common occurence.

Also another question:
The air con. doesnt really pump as cold as I think it should. It actually doesn't even keep two people cool when its hot out with all the windows and moonroof shut. Should I just get the r12 pumped out of the system professionally and convert to the new refrigerent? If not has anyone else got their systems charged and what would the price be?

wthramann
07-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Check brakes/master cylinder. I don't think the pedal should go to the floor even if the engine stalls. I checked my service manual on the air conditioner and it only shows a idle boost solenoid valve on the carbureted engine. I think the computer controls the idle speed in the LXi's. Is it overdue for a tune up? Aside from the usual you may want to change the oxygen sensor. Finally to determine if the system is low on coolant you should measure pressures on the low and high side. It is a relatively simple matter to add a can of R12 from eBay for $30. Another possibility is the compressor could be drying out and be ready to seize up.

3rd GEN
07-06-2003, 06:06 PM
my pedal doesn't drop...but the engine does rev a bit higher cuz the AC is running.. if your A/C isn't pumping put cold air..then it's also the freon in your A/C thats lost it' charge...

now i live in canada..and i am gonna go to Blain Washington just over the border to get my freon re-charged..cuz up here, we can't get freon anymore...it's illegal...the states is too..but you can still get it down there...just take it to an A/C plas and they will re-charge the gas for like $40...

3rd GEN
07-06-2003, 06:09 PM
and for all of you who are gonna start blabbing saying our cras don't use freon... HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO BET!!!????

our cars still use the old A/C systems..so we have freon...all new cars have new systems and don't use freon anymore...
thats why if you can't get new freon, they tell you to convert your A/C system over....but then how much do you really want to spend on doing that..

Blue Impact
07-06-2003, 09:52 PM
With the pedal dropping like that, it's a brake problem. I'm experiencing that too and I'm suspecting my brakes. Word of advice, don't abuse the AC in 4 cylinder cars (at least I don't).