PDA

View Full Version : oppinion on port and polish

iiviasterp
07-06-2003, 08:18 AM
for those who didnt know i had some head work done over the winter as i was rebuilding my motor and i would have to say that at this point the money seems very well spent. i had a very respectable machineist port, polish, port match, flow, and mill just a tad my head. now the whole thing cost alittle over 1000 dollars, which was alitttle more then i at first wanted to pay. well i got my car running and on the road about a month ago and am through the break in process and would like to say that if someone wants to go all motor a20 head work is a great place to start. my car pulls alot harder through every gear now, and there is alot more throtle response. when the revs clear 3500 it really pulls to redline extremely fast. there is noticable power down below 3500 also, and with my stock rims and tires on at the moment first gear is almost wasted because all the car does now is smoke the tires when i hammer on it. all in all it was well worth the money and i suggest that if anyone is looking into getting good horsepower gains to have head work done. all these gains obviously could be even more increased with a different cam too which i will be purchasing soon. i just wanted to throw that out there, if anyone has any more questions, pm me or email me at [email protected]

bobafett
07-06-2003, 08:47 AM
good man! nice to see another person with a "real mod" :D

glad you enjoy it. i am gonna see about getting some head work done as well! :)

StUpiD8000
07-08-2003, 02:40 PM
sweet...I see you live in :mad: OHIO:mad:. where did you get it done?

NeubJ
07-08-2003, 03:08 PM
What kind of HP do you think you added with that? Taking a guess.
How long did it take them to complete the job?

hondacowboy003
07-09-2003, 12:24 AM
As far as I know porting only adds between 5-20 HP (depending on the CC's of the intake ports), the true benifit of a porting job is added air flow allowing the engine to make more efficient use of the air fuel mixture. Polishing is basically a blueprinting step, that also allows a more efficent burning of the air fuel misture. Basically they remove any and all casting flash from when the head was made that fuel could hide in and create carbon deposits which we all knw is a bad thing. (because over time those carbon deposits build up and turn into a heatsink and eventually will melt the pistons).

Anyone can correct me if Im wrong (which I may be:P)

Justin86
07-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Well that is sweet. I wish I had the money to do it.

erics86dx
07-10-2003, 01:00 AM
thats hella tight, he he he it reminds me of gran turismo, which i think they should make a 60's to early 90's version

iiviasterp
07-11-2003, 07:04 AM
i never really like to put horsepower claims on mods....its too hard to tell without a dyno, but like i said it gave a nice boost all the way through the powerband. i had a machinist at great lakes ford/nissan do the head work here in bowling green, it took him a few weeks but that is because i told him i was in no rush of needing the head back. the motor has about 1000 miles on it now so ill be heading to the track soon to see what it will run. ill keep everyone updated