PDA

View Full Version : why is energy still draining from my car when not in use?

A20A3nD15
07-06-2003, 05:58 PM
i bought my 3G project car 5 weeks ago and is almost ready to go on the road. here is the one problem that i havent figured out yet, and i need some help. when i turn the car off at night, i double check that all lights are off and i even wait to make sure the ignition courtesy light turns off before i walk away. if i dont start the car within 2 days, the battery is drained. the car has a newly installed remanufactured alternator and the battery is within one year old. i have fully charged the battery a few diff time and get the same results. can anyone offer me some advice? :(

wprocomp
07-06-2003, 07:13 PM
mine did the same thing..the prob was a gold relay near the battery,I think its the fan or A/C relay...take off the neg batt cable and get a test light to the post and listen for any clicks and go from there.

Blue Impact
07-06-2003, 09:48 PM
I used to have that problem. It turned out to be my battery. I guess some batteries do turn bad after recharging them a few times.

anchovies
07-06-2003, 09:57 PM
probably the seatbelt system (if it's a coupe) (check thread in efi forum i think)
Anyway, have a multimeter handy and check the current draw while taking off one fuse at a time to find which system is making your battery dead.

AccordEpicenter
07-07-2003, 09:59 AM
yeah thats a big problem, i had it too... you should be about 10ma or so if its normal, the bad seatbelt things draw a few hundred ma... enough to drain the bat

Blue Impact
07-07-2003, 11:19 PM
What seatbelt thing, guys? Tell me about it. It is a curse with the coupes?

Justin86
07-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Yea I have got the same problem. I have to disconnect my battery everytime and even if the engine is running the battery still gets drained.

AccordEpicenter
07-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Well ok somtimes the retractors in the seatbelts in the coupes (and maybe HBs... Maybe) never turn off and draw some current. Fixing it the right way usually involves getting new seatbelt retractors, but you might be ok if you just unplugged them, but im not sure what else it does to the seatbelts

n_jay78
07-09-2003, 09:29 AM
justin86, u got serious problems if u're batt. is still draining and the engine is running. u might wanna' check the alt.

Osiris
07-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Also if your lights dont flip down your battery will still send power to them telling them to go down. This can cause battery drainage.

Justin86
07-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by n_jay78
justin86, u got serious problems if u're batt. is still draining and the engine is running. u might wanna' check the alt.
Yea I'm still trying to figure it out. I have found where the power drain is going to but the how I'm lost.

A20A3nD15
07-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by wprocomp
mine did the same thing..the prob was a gold relay near the battery,I think its the fan or A/C relay...take off the neg batt cable and get a test light to the post and listen for any clicks and go from there.

i looked for around my battery but didnt see anything that resembled a gold relay, any chance you could post a pic pointing out the relay that gave you the problem? thx! maybe for now i'll run a test to see if i can figure it out myself

A20A3nD15
07-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
Well ok somtimes the retractors in the seatbelts in the coupes (and maybe HBs... Maybe) never turn off and draw some current. Fixing it the right way usually involves getting new seatbelt retractors, but you might be ok if you just unplugged them, but im not sure what else it does to the seatbelts

how do you know they are on? can you hear any sound at all, like a feint humm?

it seems to me just about every 3G accord i see, the seat belt retractors don't seem to do the job correctly because of the door panel damage i've seen from the seat belt buckles getting shut in the door. (or maybe it's just a bad design)

i think i'll try to unplug mine and see what happens, i doubt my retractor will get any worse!

does anybody else have problems with their retractors not working??

wprocomp
07-10-2003, 09:30 AM
sorry no pics but its right next to your black fuse box under the hood,Its on the wheelwell...its prob dirty brown color and says denso on it there are two or three wires leading to it that clip in to the post on it

A20A3nD15
07-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by wprocomp
sorry no pics but its right next to your black fuse box under the hood,Its on the wheelwell...its prob dirty brown color and says denso on it there are two or three wires leading to it that clip in to the post on it

by the description you gave it sounds like this part i put an arrow on, but mine doesnt say denso on it...

http://www.geocities.com/primo28/misc.html?1057988445370

it that the part youre talking about?

:confused:

rocky2
07-12-2003, 04:38 AM
Try dissconnecting battery at negative side,then put a voltmeter/test light in series. If it gets energeized... u have drain.This is with all doors closed ,everything off,u can verify this by opening up door ..test light should light.
Now pull fuses until the one that shuts test light off comes up. Now circut at least is found

Justin86
07-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Well that is the coil.