PDA

View Full Version : Short Ram or Cold Air Intake (CAI)

meangreenLXi
07-07-2003, 03:37 AM
:sadwave: I believe CAI's are better because they get more cool air into the engine, my question is does the short ram make the same kinda growl as the CAI. I'm thinking of doing one of the two mod's but not sure. The power from the cooler air with the CAI is great, but will it growl the same way if I had the short ram. The CAI I would have to custom build and the short ram as well, but the short ram would be easier to make. If they are going to growl the same I may just stick with the short ram, while I brush up on my building technique for making the CAI.

1988starter
07-07-2003, 04:50 AM
Do a search for how to make a cai as for sound why do you really care as ong as it makes power that is why you add one any way. That s like people that say they want a muffler that makes their car louder :confused: think muffler. If you want easy get a 92 civic intake off ebay and hack 3-5 inches off the filter end it will work

racerx
07-07-2003, 09:44 AM
The cold air intake will, by nature, add more power, BUT the short ram will actually make MORE noise. The reason being the SR filter is located under the hood and closer to you. The CAI is, of course, in the fender area where most of the noise will be muffled unless your standing next to that fender.

I personally recommend the SR because it's easier, louder, and you can also get dryer hose from the hardware store and direct cold air through it and point it to the SR filter. That what I did and it gained ponies! Also, doing this saves you the worry about rain, mud, and snow getting on your CAI filter.
Good luck with whatever you choose!!

Justin86
07-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Well this should be to hard of a decision. SR= more noise or CAI= more power?

NeubJ
07-07-2003, 10:16 AM
I have heard many hondas/acuras that sound really nice. They have a awesome tone to them. At first I thought it was the exhaust note on a integra with exhaust (not a canister muffler).

Then after hearing several cars with stock exhaust. I knew it was the intake making that awesome tone. I have heard it on a newer accord, civic dx, integra and a mirage.

I have a short ram and mine sounds nothing like theirs. Theirs sounds alot meaner IMO. I can say after I installed my heat shield on the short ram it did amplify the noise. So I am assuming since the filter on the CAI is located in that enclosed area where the stock air box resonator went it will make a different sound then a short ram.

I should be getting my CAI in a few days- Then I will know if it makes a different growl.

NXRacer
07-07-2003, 11:34 AM
The CAI will make a better sound IMO, but you wont hear it as much in the car. I had a SR in my car and you couldnt really hear it until the car hit about 5K rpm (which i've been told is where it should really kick in). You'll hear it a lot more when you have the throttle wide open cause the motor is sucking more air in. Also, different filters make different noise.

You can get a bypass valve to stick inline in your CAI that will almost eliminate the possibility of water coming up from your bumper when you go thru a puddle or something.

meangreenLXi
07-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I want the power. I was only considering because, I was gonna get a canister muffler, but if the short ram makes enough growl, i wouldn't have to change muffler that I have. I'm gonna work on getting the CAI. I read how to make the CAI one time before, but it didn't say where to put the bypass and that discouraged me. Would I have to cut an extra section to add the bypass or would it fit into place without cutting?

NXRacer
07-07-2003, 01:03 PM
They usually go in place of the rubber fitting that splices the two tubes together.

http://www.aempower.com/productSubCatImages/1_1_f.jpg

it would go in place of the middle rubber fitting that says 'AEM'.

meangreenLXi
07-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Okay cool, i'm here A sorta CAI how to by 1988starter , or search this if it is a link. It's for making your own CAI. I'm gonna go by this.

meangreenLXi
07-07-2003, 01:14 PM
"A sorta CAI how to by 1988starter" the thread to search.

pip
07-07-2003, 04:26 PM
who cares about the sound of an CAI or SR when ur haulin ass and all u hear is ur engine growling at 6K i dunno about ur cars but my carb at 6K with magnaflow cat back and flipped lid sounds like a ferrari it sounds soo bad ass

pip
07-07-2003, 04:54 PM
alrite i gotta question when i put an SR or CAI on my carbed accord i got the thermostat hose and the oxygen sensor hose thing on my airbox what do i do with those hoses and i was gonna order something from an integra or 94-97 accord and it comes with that vaccum hose, where does that go?

racerx
07-08-2003, 08:30 AM
The O2 sensor is supposed to be on your exaust manifold. Any hose from the breather, or the thermostat do not need to be reconnected. You can connect the breather back on the tube like it is set up to do, but I would just buy a breather filter. You also need to plug a few vacuum hoses that were once connected to the stock air box.

pip
07-08-2003, 04:01 PM
thats cool i always thouht that hose will the yellow plastic end was an O2 sensor oh damn lol alrite sweet thanks
any recomendation on an SR or CAI to buy? preferably off ebay

A20A1
07-08-2003, 04:13 PM
You have to read my post in the carb tech section... it tells you exactly what to remove and plug.

pip
07-08-2003, 04:24 PM
wut car/year is ur SR from?

racerx
07-08-2003, 07:14 PM
I got my SR from AutoZone. It's the Spectre filter (3" universal) and the Spectre stainless pipe for the 92-95 civic. I had to get a civic pgm-fi adapter from a 92 civic from a junkyard. Check out the thread in Carb Tech. It should be under something like "Important: SR with civic adapter". It'll show you how to do it all. Works grrrrreat!

infecto
07-08-2003, 07:21 PM
I think I am going to die......someone.....actually.....went to autozone..........;)

racerx
07-09-2003, 10:15 AM
I'M SOOO ASHAMED!!!! :crying:
In my defense, it was under the guidance on Mantis and Mindlos...
I agree though, Autozone = :barf:

pip
07-09-2003, 02:22 PM
yeah i got the adaptor off a 88-91 pgm-fi civic i just don't know wut people used to put on it

NeubJ
07-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by meangreenLXi
:sadwave: I believe CAI's are better because they get more cool air into the engine, my question is does the short ram make the same kinda growl as the CAI. I'm thinking of doing one of the two mod's but not sure. The power from the cooler air with the CAI is great, but will it growl the same way if I had the short ram. The CAI I would have to custom build and the short ram as well, but the short ram would be easier to make. If they are going to growl the same I may just stick with the short ram, while I brush up on my building technique for making the CAI.

I just got my CAI intake installed today and tested it this afternoon. I was using a Short Ram since last year.

I am glad I went through all the trouble of cutting and cutting and cutting to get the pipes to fit.

The short air was a litttle louder earlier on but the cold air sounds SO NICE and A Lot MEANER-( I cant stress that enough) and the power difference is very noticeable-(cant wait till the sun drops-LOL)

pip
07-23-2003, 02:48 PM
i like my SR i rev the engine and my car sounds bad ass
good old carbies with SR's

modu03
07-24-2003, 12:53 AM
I had a CAI at first (about 3 months), I then hacked the pipe off and got a shielded filter to make a short ram air.

I must say that the sound didn't really change much, But my car definitely liked the short ram air better.

I know people will tell you that the CAI is better, but in my car, the short ram air was the better performer.