PDA

View Full Version : Transmission replacement or swap?

Brettmans5
07-07-2003, 06:28 PM
well its just one thing after another, was saving money up to do some other things (one was a rear disc conversion but no SE-I car round here and my thought of using acura parts didn't pan out :( ) and then i notice a funny sensation, the clutch was slipping at high speeds. I tried a few adjustments but no luck. so i gotta do the clutch but i am going to have to replace the tranny ( or get it rebuilt) because it grinds slightly going into 5th ( confirmed with the previous owner that this happened even when the clutch was in much better shape). I can get a tranny from a similiar year accord quite easily, with much lower KM's than mine (mine is 15k short of 400,000) for about $100 Canadian. Now do i have any other choices? would a prelude tranny work? any cable type trannys from other honda's work? As for clutch pack i would like to get a semi performance one but they cost a bloody fortune and as i have little engine mods i don't think its worth it. so anyone got any suggestions or have tried different trannies with a A20A1.

1988starter
07-07-2003, 06:47 PM
84-87 Prelude Si manual trannys work also when I had my tranny rebuilt It was only 900 including all labor and parts.

Justin86
07-07-2003, 08:58 PM
You could do either or, just depends on what you can get.
Did you try to swap the rear disk off an acura legend or just from different acuras?

Brettmans5
07-07-2003, 09:43 PM
i took a look at the legends and they are quite different so its a no go. so a 84 to 87 'lude tranny would work huh.......i image they would have a slightly better gear ratio than a accord. i am not going to pay 900 for a rebuild....thats just to outside of budget. i figure i should have about 500 bucks to do the work, i can put it in myself (with help from a buddy) so i won't have to pay labour, the clutch kit i figure will run me 200 bucks or so, 100 to 200 for the tranny and 30 bucks to get the flywheel machined. wish i had some more dough and i would order one of those aluminum flywheel....that would improve the car so much...but they are like 350US.

Immeraufdemhund
07-08-2003, 11:12 AM
check out the how to / faq about the tranny rebuild. There is a post about how to put in teg gears or lude gears for you choice of ratio's. That would be the route i'd go. But like the dude says that posted it make sure either you are very experianced or your helper is very experianced. Be carefull and take your time. But that's me.

Brettmans5
07-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Teg gears? like a integra? think i will just stick with grabbing a lude tranny. I have got plenty of experience doing trannies, never a swap to a different tranny though.... my only real problem is supporting the engine while removing the tranny, any time i did it before i was in a fully equiped garage with air tools and a really cool engine support beam for front wheel drive vehicles...never done it in a driveway with hand tools, jack, and jackstands....it should be interesting.