PDA

View Full Version : White smoke at startup and rough idle

86LXi270K
07-07-2003, 09:48 PM
I have an 86 accord lxi 5 speed. Lately, when i start the car, it idles very rough like it is about to kill and loads of white smoke come out the tailpipe for about 30 seconds. After that the idle jumps from about 2k to 1k at idle and does that permanantly. Occasionally the PGM-FI light comes on and error code 12 (EGR valve) comes on. I tested the valve with a vacuum pump and it seemed to work fine. Anybody have any ideas on what the problem could be?

cruznz
07-08-2003, 12:00 AM
condition of oil?...not creamy lookin' is it?

86LXi270K
07-08-2003, 02:37 PM
no, the oil looks fine

89LxiAg
07-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Just a shot in the dark but....

Look around on the throttle body and intake manifold to see if you have any cracks that could be letting air and/or water vapor into the system.

Also, try tracing some of the vacuum lines around the throttle body and EGR valve.

I'm not sure if any of this helps, but good luck.

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2003, 05:26 PM
don't telll me man.
that honda accord's have weak head gasket's!!!!!!!!
that's the one reason i went from a ford to a honda!!!!!!!!!

86LXi270K
07-18-2003, 08:17 PM
I figured out what it was. The throttle adjusting screw had backed itself out and it was about to fall out. I guess thats why it slowly got worse. I just screwed it back in and now it runs great.

johnwc723
08-25-2003, 03:34 PM
you are a LUCKY one! it could have been a lot worse...

BootMachine
08-26-2003, 09:38 AM
White smoke = burning coolant!

YOU HAVE A LEAK

Somewhere there is coolant leaking into the combustion chamber and burning! Usually this is caused by the headgasket which is pretty easy to fix if you have basic tools.

Check your coolant level....see if it goes down after a while....if you are burning oil...thats a whole new problem!

86LXi270K
08-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Well Its been over a month now since I fixed the screw and I have had absolutely no problem with smoke, using oil or coolant, or idle. So I'm pretty sure everythings ok

Originally posted by BootMachine
White smoke = burning coolant!

YOU HAVE A LEAK

Somewhere there is coolant leaking into the combustion chamber and burning! Usually this is caused by the headgasket which is pretty easy to fix if you have basic tools.

Check your coolant level....see if it goes down after a while....if you are burning oil...thats a whole new problem!

danronian
09-16-2003, 07:43 PM
White smoke at startup is merely the moisture in the exhaust being evaporated by the engine. Nothing to worry about at all.