PDA

View Full Version : Jb Weld and our heads...

Immeraufdemhund
07-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Ok, so we have a weak head on our car. One of my friends was saying that he used to have problems with head gaskets in one of his other vehicles so he got some jb weld, cleaned up the head got it surfaced and put the weld stuff on both sides of the gasket, torqued the bolts down and let it setup for a day. He said that you'll never have a head gasket problem again, but if something else fries on the engine just getcha another one. So i thought to my self. If it strengthens the head on that harley, and a civic (the two vehicles he did that to) then why can't it strengthen our head so that we can at more pressure from say a turbo. of course you'd still have to get all the other stuff, but would this help the problem with only being able to push 8-9 psi? Just a thought.

NXRacer
07-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Sure it would strengthen it....but theres a reason its call jb WELD. Once you put that shit on your head, good luck getting it off again if you need to. That stuff is like metal epoxy. Once its on, it aint coming off. Get yourself a custom metal gasket if you're planning on running higher compression. That way you wont have to replace your whole motor if you need your head or anything else underneath it fixed.

Immeraufdemhund
07-08-2003, 11:21 AM
can't you get to your pistons and what not from your oil pan? Yah that's what my friend said. He said "you'll break the head before you get that it off" It would just seem to me that it would help in both high end revs and compression.

NXRacer
07-08-2003, 11:23 AM
yeah, you can get to the pistons from the oil pan, but its a pain in the ass. JB Weld seems like the getto way to get higher compression. Get a metal head gasket and better head bolts and you'll accomplish the same thing, but you'll be able to remove your head.

offthahook
07-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
yeah, you can get to the pistons from the oil pan, but its a pain in the ass. JB Weld seems like the getto way to get higher compression. Get a metal head gasket and better head bolts and you'll accomplish the same thing, but you'll be able to remove your head.

My sentiments exactly. If it was in a n easy to reach area, then the weld would work, but you're spending serious time to get to the head. Do it right and not all ghetto. :werd:

Immeraufdemhund
07-08-2003, 02:23 PM
better head bolts?? were do you get those?

A20A1
07-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Dead soft copper gaskets... something like that.

anywho... just run a search on the net but I would think they would have to be custom... cause if i remember correctly our head bolts have grooves in them somewhere and the chance that anyone would have a matching bolt is slim.

AccordEpicenter
07-08-2003, 05:48 PM
if you get copper gaskets, most are supposed to be used on an o-ringed block... hey can we even get copper gaskets?