PDA

View Full Version : Oil

Mac
07-08-2003, 07:37 PM
Just curious. In the shop manual there is a chart for oil. It shows for 0 to 90 deg (F) to use 10w 30. For-20 to 30 deg (F) use 5w 30.

Now in the owners manual it shows for 20 to past 100 deg(F) use 10w 30. For past -20 to past 100 deg (F) use 5w 30 and also says 5w 30 preferred.

Which is correct?

89LxiAg
07-08-2003, 10:27 PM
If you frequently drive in cold climates, you will want to use a smaller weight oil (the number preceeding the W). This number represents the weight of the oil when cold, whereas the number after the "-" represents the weight of the oil when hot. Starting the car in cold weather can do real damage to cylinders and the block, so a lighter weight oil (5W) will flow more easily and coat the cylinders quicker to prevent cold-start damage.

If you drive in warmer weather more, you would want a 10W-30 because if you start your car in warmer weather, and the oil is too thin already, you could scortch the oil and cause engine damage.

In short, look at the type of weather you normally encounter, and feel free to try different weights during the season changes. As far as the preferred type, that is like the average of expected conditions, your car may prefer a thicker or thinner oil.

Also, if you do lots of towing or hauling you should use a thicker oil because the engine will be working harder under those loads and needs good, thick lubrication to suck away the heat and keep things running smoothly.

Hope this helps a little.

AccordEpicenter
07-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Ive started my car in -10 degree F weather and the oil pressure came right up, zero waiting, but then again im using full synthetic mobil 1. If i were you id stick with 10w-30, ive heard that if you go lighter weight on an older engine it stresses the rod and main bearings a little more than heavier oil.

wthramann
07-09-2003, 03:44 PM
My service manual says for ambient temperature 20 to >140 degrees F 10W-30, < -20 to >140 degrees F 5W-30 PREFERRED, page 4-2 and page 8-3. Since this is the same as my owners manual I stick with 5W-30. In addition to better cold engine protection the lighter weight oil supposedly delivers better gas mileage. I change oil every 3K so I do not worry about premature breakdown of the oil.