PDA

View Full Version : Found B20A!!! But.....

Dibbs
07-09-2003, 09:01 AM
I found a JDM B20A for $400!! It doesn't have an intake or exhaust but thanks to 87accordlxi's post, that can be taken care of. There is a catch though......no tranny. But get this, the guy at the importer says that he already sold the tranny off the JDM B20A to put it on a B20A5. Now, at first I thought there was a communication problem b/c this guy is straight outta Japan and speaks w/ a HEAVY accent and broken English. This guy says he's been doing it for years and guarantees that the B20A5 tranny will mate to the JDM B20A. He said he's so confident that he'll mate the tranny to the block right there in front of me if i buy the engine and tranny from him.

What do you guys think?

P.S. If I bought the engine and tranny together, I would be looking at 700 for the swap. Too much?

NXRacer
07-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Thats a HELL of a good deal. I'd be interested to see if the tranny acutally worked.....according to everybody else on here, the b20a5 tranny won't work at all. Have him put the tranny on and see what happens. The cheapest i've found for a motor/tranny is just under 1k. If you can take a look at the motor, check it out and make sure its in decent condition.

How many motors does he have?

Also, does he know that its from the Accord? Most of those guys will tell you they have a b20a, but they dont know that the Accords came with DOHC motors. In my experience, even the guys that speak broken english will tell you that our accords didnt come with those motors in them.

L3G10N
07-09-2003, 10:21 AM
the guy who've bought the tranny will come back, go back often and ask if the guy of the tranny bring it back cause the tranny will not fit on a b20a5

same thing about the inverse. I've already checked for fun with the place where i get my JDM parts.

by the way, i think i can get you the intake and exaust manifold, let me know how you want to pay and i'll let you know if it's possible. :super:

congrats for the b20a

NXRacer
07-09-2003, 10:24 AM
openloop motorsports has a 5speed for $450 + $95s/h.

Dibbs
07-09-2003, 12:31 PM
He only has one motor. He said it came to him by mistake a while back. He's offering a 90 day warranty so that's better than nothing. I'm going to get a new engine this summer, B20A or not. I would like to do the swap, don't get me wrong but I would like to see if I could get a tranny a tad bit cheaper though. Do they have an Auto tranny for the B20A or did they only come in 5-speed? I don't wanna spend much over a grand for this swap b/c for $600 i can drop another A20A and get it done in a day. I'm getting a new engine b/c my old engine is slowly crapping out on me (various vacuum leaks, plug holes stripped, oil leaks, running a little warm, you get the idea) and I want to keep this car. It's the first car I ever owned. I bought it in '91 and it's been more reliable than anything I've ever drove.

BTW he did know that the b20a came in the Accord. He mentioned it before i did. He kept calling it a 1st Gen B20A.

NXRacer
07-09-2003, 12:44 PM
well thats sweet. i think that openloop might have an auto. from what i've read in the forums, the auto tranny's are a lot easier to find then manuals. They might was less for an auto since nobody wants em.

RobT5580
07-09-2003, 01:44 PM
The tranny may actually bolt up but then you have the hydralic clutch to figure out which posed a huge problem when doing a B20A swap in a prelude. So that is what will stop that tranny from working if it even bolts up.

NXRacer
07-09-2003, 01:47 PM
I thought i read that there was a place somewhere that made a cable/hydro conversion? I think i found one on the internet or something. Was it placeracing.com?

*edit* doing a quick search on the internet i came up with Hasport cable/hydro conversion. Maybe somebody can contact them and see if its universal or not.......

Dibbs
07-09-2003, 01:59 PM
The importer is just a few minutes from my job, so I think I might go there on my lunchbreak tomorrow. I'll post what I find here.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
07-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
I thought i read that there was a place somewhere that made a cable/hydro conversion? I think i found one on the internet or something. Was it placeracing.com?

*edit* doing a quick search on the internet i came up with Hasport cable/hydro conversion. Maybe somebody can contact them and see if its universal or not.......

Well actually I was told that it was Hydro to cable conversion.. and it's only for Civics.. My friend has it on his 92 EG..

L3G10N
07-09-2003, 02:56 PM
i'm going tomorrow to the japan import where i've bought my b20a and i'll look some other place. I know where he have 2 b20a. I'll look for the tranny.

carotman
07-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Dibbie, get the engine serial number and post it here.... the B20A5 transmission will not work on a B20A, cable shifter and hydro clutch.... you don'T want those

toastyghost
07-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Yeah the bolt pattern is the same but there is more to conversion than bolting it on. :P unfortunately

RobT5580
07-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Yeah and placeracing does make conversions and they did do a B20A Swap into a prelude before and they never finished the job because of complications in making the hydro conversion. They used to chat on our board and they ended up buying the guys car and later sold it unfinished but the motor was in the car just needed the hydro conversion finished. You should be able to find a B20A tranny i did and bought it as a spare cause i dont want to have problems if i ever blow one up.

BOLINKXR-89LXI
07-09-2003, 09:55 PM
:) my b20a came with an auto I had some fun finding my five speed and when I found it the guy didnt no what it was so he sold it to me for $75 bucks I was lucky:smokin:

Dibbs
07-10-2003, 04:04 AM
Ohhh.....Cable-Hydro. Got it. But what about automatic tranny? I thought the cable-hydaulic problem resided w/ the 5-speeds only.

Great price on that tranny Bolin. I need to keep looking though. I live in Houston for goodness sake. This is the 2nd largest port in the US and I can only find 2 engine importers in this city of 4 million? Sounds like you guys in Cali and CA bump into an importer around every corner. Oh well, no need in bitchin'.

1989 DX R
07-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Hehe word to that. Its cuz where in the ol dirty souf.

Dibbs
07-11-2003, 04:58 AM
Hey, I'm going to the Importer for lunch today. If anyone could help me w/ my Auto tranny question, I would appreciate it.

Carotman I will get the serial # for you. Do you have enough info from the serial to tell if this b20a has electronic advance b/c the importer said something briefly about me needing a distributer. I'm not sure if that's b/c he knew I was trying a swap or it just doesn't come with one. If it has one I can look at it and tell but if not, I'm gonna have to rely on you man (like I'm not already)

carotman
07-11-2003, 11:09 AM
If you want to keep your stock ECU, you'll need an 86-87 Integra distributor (there is one for sale right now on Ebay for 20 bucks)

Dibbs
07-11-2003, 11:17 AM
Yeah I've already read the post update about keeping the stock ECU & wiring harness. I plan on doing that b/c I figure the time involved in finding, paying and installing all those parts, isn't worth the power lost in the conversion. Just my opinion though. I'm not that worried about max power anyhow. If I get a dist., I'll probably go to the local pick-a-part b/c I've gotta get an exhaust manifold, plus the Teg Dist and crank sensor.

Again what about using the Auto tranny, assuming that it actually would line up w/ the block like the guy says?

carotman
07-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Even if the transmission does line up with the block, the rear trans mount will not work well with the frame. (I might be wrong)

One thing for sure is that the differencial will not have the correct position for the axles to line up properly.

The "2nd gen" B20A does not lean the same way as the "1st gen" B20A. This means, use the right transmission for your car.

Dibbs
07-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Ahh dammit. Totally forgot. Oh well, back to searchin for a b20a tranny.

Thanks a ton for the help. Carot