PDA

View Full Version : Power drain?

Justin86
07-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Ok so I'm having a power drain when my car is sitting around and when I'm driving. I have to keep disconecting my battery and recharge it. I got a multimeter thing to find where the drain is. I wnet to the fuse block under the dash. I have a drain on the Alternator/ fuel pump fuse 0.46V. Also a drain on the turn signal/ back up lights fuse 0.03V. Also my cooling fan wong turn on but that is a seperate prob.
A little back ground on my car. I did an EFI swap. I swap an 87 auto harness into my 86 manual. So basically I had to do the auto to manual tranny swap electrical wise. I have everything done with that but the back up light is not hooked up. But I'm still getting some power through the old back up light wires. I don't know if I should tie the old wires into the new back up light wires I have set up. :help:

Justin86
07-09-2003, 05:05 PM
Whoa, I guess I stumped everyone on this one.

89LxiAg
07-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Since you replaced a bunch of electrical wires, I would suggest that you try to trace wires to see if one has grounded out somewhere and is causing a drain. It sounds as though the leads from the reverse lights have grounded and are pulling current. As far as the fuel pump/alternator goes, try the same thing -- just trace some wires and hopefully you'll find one with a knick in the insulation or something like that. Let us know how that goes and maybe give us some more info about what you find.

Justin86
07-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Shit I was hoping some one who give me some info like they had a similar prob. I can trace the wires but I will have to tear shit all up to get to it all. :mad:

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Probably won't be much help, there's a lot of electrical components on fuse #1. Just some questions. That is the fuse you're showing .46V drain, you did mean .48A as in amperage draw, not volts, correct? Now this current draw is with the key off???:confused: Cause both fuses #1 and #2 should only have 12v when the key is turned to run or start, and there would be a current draw! Should have 0 volts at those two fuses when the key is off, if you do have voltage there, then that's your problem, probably wires touching a "hot at all times" wire somewhere??:confused:

cruznz
07-11-2003, 03:34 AM
hmmm.....is the alternator charging?......

Justin86
07-11-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by cruznz
hmmm.....is the alternator charging?......
I think that it is charging but it isn't that good so I probably will get a new onw just to be safe.

Justin86
07-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 88LXi/87CRXSi
Probably won't be much help, there's a lot of electrical components on fuse #1. Just some questions. That is the fuse you're showing .46V drain, you did mean .48A as in amperage draw, not volts, correct? Now this current draw is with the key off???:confused: Cause both fuses #1 and #2 should only have 12v when the key is turned to run or start, and there would be a current draw! Should have 0 volts at those two fuses when the key is off, if you do have voltage there, then that's your problem, probably wires touching a "hot at all times" wire somewhere??:confused:
Yea that is pretty much right. The key is off and I'm still getting power to those fuses. So I"m thinking my problem is somewhere between that fuse block and to the battery. I just need to do more testing and hope I can narrow it down to one possibility.