PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild?

Jubei415
07-09-2003, 06:07 PM
its good to have the internet back lol, maybe someone here can help me, after i wrecked my 89 accord lxi, i bought a 91 prelude si.

i miss my old car though, mostly cause it ran hehe.

after driving the car for 8 months or so, i was driving to the coast and basically lost power, and the car sounded like a dunebuggy instead of a ricer. the car still runs, but runs like crap now. after replacing the timeing belt ( thinkin somehow maybe the belt jumped or somthin ) i did a compression test and cylinder4 has no pressure at all.

im told that either means the piston rings are bad, the valves are bent ( which i conclude that when i had the valves adjusted cause i heard a ticking noise the faster i went.., they didnt do it correctly and maybe they were sticking down to far, hitting the top of the pistonhead.) or there is a hole in the top of the piston cause of the above mentioned valve problem.

so im looking to get it rebuilt i guess, but i dont know any places in oregon that could do this for me, if anyone in oregon knows of a good place, could ya help me out ? ^_^

i miss my cars...

Jubei415
07-09-2003, 06:08 PM
btw, i dont have my old car anymore, and the new is a 91 prelude si 2.1 with a b21a1 engine in it.

isadisa
07-10-2003, 01:34 PM
It sounds like you burnt a valve...which means one of the valves in the number 4 cylinder has a hole in it / missing a chunk.....you will have to pull the head off the engine and replace the valve, the best thing to do is get a headset (it has all the gaskets to rebuild the head), if you can replace all the valves, if not replace the burnt one.....once you get it taken apart you will see...if the valves are all ok, then you probably need new pistons, so be prepared to maybe have to rebuild the whole engine.

NXRacer
07-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Japanese Connection here in Salem specialized in import engine work. They'll do it i know and i got a quote from them to rebuild my motor after the oil pump went out and spun a rod bearing. They said it was going to cost about $700 to rebuild.

There are many other places and i'm sure there are a few places in the Eugene area that will rebuild your motor.

86AccordLxi
07-10-2003, 03:46 PM
Look up "Mohawk Valley Automotive" in the Eugene phonebook. The guy's name is Dave and he's mine and another members' mechanic down there. He specializes in Honda and Acura. Call him up and see what he can do for you. It won't be cheap wherever you go, but Dave does EXCELLENT work. And tell him that Alex sent you.

Alex

Jubei415
07-10-2003, 05:22 PM
thnx guys, i appreciate the info/help. hopefully it wont cost too much, ill let ya know what happens ;)

Jubei415
07-14-2003, 09:01 AM
alright, so i called mohawk valley auto, dave said it would be waste of time to rebuild it and not reccomended ( could cost over 3k to get a quality rebuild done ),

but he can get me a JDM b20a5 will a few extra features ( a extra policy/warranty for the engine, and to have the engine flushed/checked ) for around 1700-2000 possibly ?

b20a5 has less hp than the b21a1 correct ? out of curiosity, anyone know of any other engines i could swap in instead?

NXRacer
07-14-2003, 09:19 AM
you CANT swap in the b20a5 without a lot of work. The motor that swaps in is the b20a(no number). It came in the JDM Accord. A LOT of engine importers will either tell you that there is no such thing or that its the Prelude motor (b20a5). Do a search and you'll find a lot of info about it.

86AccordLxi
07-15-2003, 10:58 AM
NXRacer...he has a Lude, not a 3g...

Alex

NXRacer
07-15-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 86AccordLxi
NXRacer...he has a Lude, not a 3g...

Alex

heh heh DUH. :banghead: i guess it helps to fully understand what i'm reading........my bad

Jubei415 forget what i said in that last post.........