PDA

View Full Version : Problem with component system.

Dibbs
07-10-2003, 06:11 AM
I got a component system from a '99 civic SI (freebie from a friend) and installed it in my car. I didn't come w/ a true crossover, just a capacitor to separate highs from lows. I series mounted the component system and when I turn on the stereo there's all highs but no lows up front. I moved the component subs to the rear to see if they worked properly and they were loud as shit. What went wrong?

86hatchbackLXi
07-10-2003, 08:31 PM
did you wire the polarity correctly in front?

Dibbs
07-11-2003, 03:33 AM
Yeah, I did. That's part of the reason I tested the comp. subs in the rear b/c at first I thought I reversed the polarity and blew the speakers. I couldn't tell + from - b/c the tabs were the same size and they werent marked (were talkin' factory here). They had these male/female connectors that I had to remove and it just made everything else dificult.

Dibbs
07-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Anyone else got any ideas? I was wondering if this might be a lack of power issue. The comp. subs only push like 15 each. I know it doesn't sound like much but they're loud as shit though for 6.5's.

I will say audio is not my forte, or electrical for that matter. I'm more chemical and mechanical.

catalin
07-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Wire them up in paralell and they will work without a problem. Positive tweeter to positive woofer to positive of the head unit, and negative tweeter to negative woofer to negative of the head unit.

Don't forget to leave the capacitors in series on the positive side of the tweeter.

POS carb
07-16-2003, 10:17 AM
the cap has to be wired in series with the tweeter and you tap the signal from the woofer terminals. you probably wired the cap in line for both the woofer and the tweeter when you had it in the front

Dibbs
09-22-2003, 05:19 AM
Hey guys! Finally worked on the compoonent system this weekend. Took your advise and it worked like a charm! The best way to explain the problem was that I serires mounted the whole system. Basically I had a negative wire connected to the positive wire going to the head unit. As soon as I hooked it up paralell, it all worked great. This system is loud a hell! Pretty damn good for a factory system. I'm pretty sure it's pioneer b/c their symbol is on the tweeters and speakers. It has just the right amount of bass that I want with great seperation. Symbal crashes are nice and crisp w/o ringing my eardrums. I think if I replaced my rear dual cone pioneers with some nice 3-way speakers, I would have my audio system where I want.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it!

catalin
09-22-2003, 07:53 PM
Anytime Doobie.... err Dibbie.. :pimp: ;)

Dibbs
09-23-2003, 04:08 AM
HEHE

:bh: