PDA

View Full Version : 3000+ RPM Idle

viking3099
07-10-2003, 06:12 AM
Hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem, here’s the whole story starting from the beginning. I have a 1987 LXi. The first problem was a head gasket leak, after two weeks, I have the head gasket changed and everything is back on the car, while I was at it, I put in new plugs and wires. Now, it started up fine last night, the only problem was that it shot right up to 3000 rpm and stayed there. :mad: I didn’t wait to see if it dropped down after a few minutes, but I did go through and check all of the harnesses and vacuum connections that may have been causing the problem. After not finding anything wrong, I tried to adjust the idle using the screw on the throttle body, unfortunately, that only increased the idle speed and it never dropped below 3000. Any ideas as to what may be the problem here would be great. Just as a side note, I did check other threads pertaining to fast idle problems, and the ones I read were all about carbed accords.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

VigilantLXi
07-10-2003, 06:54 AM
do you have check engine light on?.....if you do it might be the throttle position sensor......if not keep on check the vacum lines

viking3099
07-10-2003, 09:04 AM
I'll check the lines again when i get home. I was wondering if this problem could be caused by an incorrect tension on the throttle cable. :confused:

Mike's89AccordLX
07-10-2003, 09:15 AM
That could be the problem.

POS carb
07-10-2003, 12:00 PM
yea disconnect the throttle and see, it could be a vacuum leak by the t/b where it's just bypassing the butterfly

viking3099
07-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Well,

Throttle cable was fine, triple checked all of the vacuum lines. Adjusted the idle, and now instead of just running up to 3000 rpm on start and staying there, it jumps from 1000-2000 rpm and just rolls between them. I snapped off the larger of the two nipples that are on the tube that goes from the aircleaner to the throttle body, and with my luck i lost the peice that broke off, so i haven't fixed it. I don't know if that is causing my rolling idle. Let me know if you have any ideas, or tips for checking for leaks because i unfortunately am at a loss.

viking3099
07-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Here's another bit i forgot to put in the last post:

I also unfortunately snapped the nipples off of a vaccuum sensor that screws into the thermostat housing right after the radiator hose and right before the thermostat. I fixed them and reattached the #12 and #3 hoses that attach there. Unfortunately i don't know if this could be causing my problem, and if i should just get this peice replaced. Unfortunately i can't seem to find this sensor and/or what it does in the factory manual i have. Sorry about the double post, but maybe some of the guys with some EFI experience could diagnose the problem easier this way.

viking3099
07-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Well, i guess i'm going to have to call my local friendly honda dealer and see if they know what the hell is going on, thanks to the guys why tried... Still would appreciate any ideas...