PDA

View Full Version : Amp location

Mac
07-10-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm looking for a good location for an amp. Where do you guys mount your amps?

dXsquared
07-10-2003, 01:28 PM
on the back of the seat.. so when they are flipped down, you get to see them

Travis

86accordhatchback
07-10-2003, 02:40 PM
i have mine on the back of the box. you can still see it when you flip down the seats

NXRacer
07-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 86accordhatchback
i have mine on the back of the box. you can still see it when you flip down the seats

i did that too, but when my car got broken into, it made the job easier for the damn theives cause all they had to do was pull the box and they had 2 amps with the package...........:mad: Next time i put in a system i'm gonna bolt the damn things to my seat so it wont be so easy to take my amps.....of course, now i have an alarm so hopefully it'll deter them a little.

Osiris
07-10-2003, 06:07 PM
I agree with NX. I installed mobile systems for awhile, and the rule of thumb is never mount anything to box unless your gonna bolt the box down.

I say depending on the size fo the amps, mount them to the sides of the trunk, floor, top of trunk (under rear deck) or back of the seat.

Personally i would look into making some type of amp rack tho.

88 Accord DX
07-10-2003, 06:31 PM
i made a thing out of MDF that opens up. its hard to describe. lemme try to describe it. i took the stock piece of crap cardboard piece thats in there now and cut a piece of MDF to fit in its place. then when i got the amp i cut the MDF in half and attached henges to it. then i just open it whenever i want.

dXsquared
07-10-2003, 06:33 PM
what cardboard? the floor??

Travis

meangreenLXi
07-10-2003, 06:39 PM
My amp is mounted on the back of the box, I guess that's not a good spot, but I do have an alarm in my car. I usually take the back seat out in the summer because I ride around alot and it makes the car a little lighter, considering I have the box in the back and it has two 12" woofers in there. With the back seat out where would be a good place to put the amp?

Mac
07-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Back of box? What do you mean, and where is this box? I was thinking of under the pass seat. Not sure if there is enough room.

A Dawg Jr
07-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Back of the sub box.

And I just have mine on the floor of my trunk. I plan on doing that thing with the MDF board though. My floor down there right now is pretty torn up

shepherd79
07-11-2003, 04:03 AM
my amps are mounted under the rear dash.

TJ89Accord
07-11-2003, 09:54 AM
On my Accord I have my amp on the back of the seat. I think it looks good. I used spacers so that there is space under the amp, so that I could run the wires underneath it. Heres a pic.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid49/pdeabbf8be64aa3464d32c48a0387d06f/fcb4e5fb.jpg

On my Legend I had them on the sides of the trunk, had to make boards to mount them on, I like this way better, but I was too lazy when I did my Accord.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid30/p146b46ceb617108a8cddf7ef0aa01803/fd559054.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid30/pfbb8bc3e9a2a37faff76aa2eb8b945f8/fd559058.jpg

hope this helped.

tim

Mike's89AccordLX
07-11-2003, 10:59 AM
I am looking at doing a setup like you had on your legend. But what I want is to have a little hidden trap door so I can get to the spare tire easily. I plan to bolt the box and amps down and have all the wires hidden and carpet everything. I don't quite know where I'm going to put a capacitor though. Any suggestions? I plan to get a digital 2 Farad capacitor with a distributor block on it. Maybe I should just get 2 1 farad cap.s and put one on each side of the trunk next to each amp.

86accordhatchback
07-11-2003, 11:11 AM
if the box is big enough like mine. than you cant take the box out of the car. and i used to have a different amp and someone smashed my passenger window and just ripped the amp off the back of the seats. they took the box and speakers too. but they cant do that now cuz i built the new box so big it wont come out of the trunk

86accordhatchback
07-11-2003, 11:12 AM
and the amp mounted to that so they cant get the box out and they cant have my damn amp.

TJ89Accord
07-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
I am looking at doing a setup like you had on your legend. But what I want is to have a little hidden trap door so I can get to the spare tire easily. I plan to bolt the box and amps down and have all the wires hidden and carpet everything. I don't quite know where I'm going to put a capacitor though. Any suggestions? I plan to get a digital 2 Farad capacitor with a distributor block on it. Maybe I should just get 2 1 farad cap.s and put one on each side of the trunk next to each amp.

I had a cap in the legend. It was on the right side of the trunk, behind the amp, on the other side of the board. It was a 1 farad cap.