PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Retractor

RustyHo88
07-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Well, I have an 88 accord that has some problems. in trying to fix one problem, i seem to have made the problem worse, so, ill just get to it. the lights used to go up, and not retract. now they dont retract at all. what i did, was i took a new headlight control unit, and connected it, to see if they would retract. well, they didnt, so i put the old control unit back in, now the lights dont even come up. i checked all the related fuses, and they all seem fine. the lights themselves turn on, the retractors just dont work. did i fry the retractor motors? how do i test them to find out without buying new ones? oh yea, one more thing, my cruise used to work, and so did my horns. now neither works. i replaced one horn, and it works, but its really quiet. do i need to replace both horns for the cruise to work? and why is my horn quiet? is my horn relay bad? is there a horn relay at all... and if so, where is it. any help, any pictures would help. thanks.

-will

POS carb
07-10-2003, 01:54 PM
1. it coud be the wires on the retractor unit, after years of flipping and being exposed they can break

2. the cruise and horn are on the same circuit, so get a wiring diagram and start probing

RustyHo88
07-10-2003, 02:06 PM
the wires under the retractor motor are fine. no cracks, no breaks, nothing visible. remember, they worked before. im also aware that the horn and cruise are on the same circuit. ive been testing stuff, but havnt gotten to everything yet (tested main switch, steering wheel controller, most of the wires to control unit). i was just wondering if the cruise control will work with only one horn connected or if both of them need to be working for the cruise to function. thanks

RustyHo88
07-15-2003, 01:17 PM
call it dumb luck, but after days and days of testing components related to the retractor lights... i gave up, comfortable with the idea that i would just drive around with my headlights up. so, i put everything back together, combo switch, main controller, relays, ect., and to my amazement, the lights worked. dont ask me how. so... yea... today is a good day.

NXRacer
07-15-2003, 01:32 PM
there was probably a connector somewhere that was corroded and taken them out and putting them back in cleaned off the corrosion and made the problem go away.