PDA

View Full Version : Can't find the Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders???

89LxiAg
07-10-2003, 03:06 PM
I've been looking through my repair manual and have been unable to find any pictures of a "Clutch Master Cylinder" nor the "Slave Cylinder" for my 1989 Accord LX-i 5 speed. This seems strange to me because my manual has pictures for the 84-91 and 92-95 Prelude and the 90-95 Accords, all showing master and slave cylinders.

In my transmission diagrams, there are neither of the two parts I mentioned above--does this mean these parts do not exist on my car? If they do exist, where are they located? Is my clutch disengaged only by my pedal, as it appears in the diagram?:huh:

Thanks for the help.

rick_spiff
07-10-2003, 03:40 PM
There is no Master or Slave cylinders for the clutch on these cars. They all use cable clutches. Look under the upper radiator hose, just to one side of the distributor cap. Beneath those should be the transmission. Look at the 'front' of the transmission (the side nearest the radiator fans), and you should see a lever coming out of the transmission. A cable is attached to it, no?

The other cars listed DO have master and slave cylinders. Those systems are commonly called hydraulic clutch systems. Same function, different hardware.