PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a tow hitch on their 3gee?

POS carb
06-10-2002, 01:49 PM
Yea umm I'm poor as fuq and it's going to cast wayyy too much to rent a Uhaul and all that jazz so I figues I should get a small uhaul trailer to yank behind the Accord (my friends are coming over and offered to help me drive back) but looking at my car's ass it looks like the exhaust may be in the way (it's aftermarket).
Does anybody have a pic of one installed? I know it can be done, my uncle used to own an 88 with a hitch and he towed a small boat from Colorado to Miami with it. :eek:

carotman
06-10-2002, 04:58 PM
I have a hidden hitch (you can only see a square from behing)

I installed a genuine honda hitch cover cap so it looks really good :)

I usually use the hitch to tow a Sea-Doo :p

guaynabo89
06-10-2002, 05:11 PM
The ones I've seen are shaped around the exhaust. So try and find one of those.

RCracer
06-11-2002, 12:43 AM
Hi Eric
I have a tow hitch on my car. It was fitted when I bought it.
From what I have noticed there are two types of tow hitch even in the UK. There are the ones that are shaped round the exhaust (and look really bad from behind), there are the ones like mine that stop short of the exhaust and mount onto the spare wheel well and back panel.

I have towed pretty much everything with it car transporter, caravan and general small trailers.

POS carb
06-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Wow I didn't know they made them like that! Can you take a picture for me of the bottom so I can see how they all bolt up?
Oh and can I have the manufacturer's name please?
I'm really going to go for the towing route so I need to see which ones would clear my exhaust (It's welded so it won't be easy to remove lol and also I don't wanna drive 3000 miles on an open exhaust:mad: )

Hey Carotman, lemme see yours too please, I'd really appreciate it. I don't even know where to start looking.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-11-2002, 10:54 PM
Hey POS, you can also just go to Farm & Fleet (or whatever stores you have like that out there), and they install them and everything. I had checked out one for mine there, but I can't remember offhand how much they said it would be. I don't think it was that much though.

Have you tried looking in the yellow pages and calling around to some places?

RCracer
06-12-2002, 01:53 AM
Hi
the maker of my tow hitch is "leisure towbars" and they are from the UK.
I took some pics of it this afternoon I will post them as soon as I can.

Paul

RCracer
06-12-2002, 12:33 PM
I have taken a few pics. Not a very easy thing to photo:lol
I have had to resize/clip the photos to post them but I think you can see pretty much everything. If not and you want me to email the pics to you just let me know.

1st pic

RCracer
06-12-2002, 12:35 PM
2nd pic

POS carb
06-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Thank u so much for your help, I'm emailing companies about the hitches. the first one I found says it fits all accords except the SEi which probably means the hole is too small for dual exhaust tips (grr!) so i dunno, I don't want to drive accross the country without an exhaust and I just had it installed like a month or two ago. I'm trying to see if they can locate one of those paul has for me or if I can move my exhaust enough to fit it. If anything I can always get a stock exhaust from the junkyard...

jigga225
06-14-2002, 07:00 PM
dont make her pull anything please!.
No, just playin do what you have to do.

I saw a 3G pulling a cutlass once.

accordlx
06-15-2002, 02:40 AM
I had a custom made class III hitch on my 2nd gen Accord. It was strong as hell. I pulled a 22 foot boat from Columbus to Cincinnati with it. (about 125 miles) The car had about 230,000 miles on it at that time and it fried the automatic transmission. The trailer had brakes on it and helped to slow down the trailer when stopping. I was quite surprised that it did pull the boat at all. If the tranny had been in better shape, it would have worked a great deal better. Pulling something small was always acceptable but dont do what I did.

AccordChemist
06-15-2002, 05:37 PM
i have a class I hitch on my car, i got it on ebay used for $10..i use it to haul my sea-doo works real nice, oh and nothing even gets near my exhaust.

POS carb
06-15-2002, 07:22 PM
shit I found one in the junkyard! like what paul got! If my a/c works I'm going back to get it and I am driving the 3 gee

dosh8er
06-16-2002, 08:18 AM
I always thought a little car like our 3g's were kinda of silly looking hauling stuff, but then again, I haven't moved out of my parent's house yet, and WHEN the time comes, I'm thinking this might be a good route. Haulin' all my crap behind my accord, yeah.

87accordlxi
06-16-2002, 09:37 AM
you gotta do what you gotta do, even if it means towing a trailer with an 87 accord. good luck with it eric

RCracer
06-16-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by dosh8er
I always thought a little car like our 3g's were kinda of silly looking hauling stuff, but then again, I haven't moved out of my parent's house yet, and WHEN the time comes, I'm thinking this might be a good route. Haulin' all my crap behind my accord, yeah.

:lol Just goes to show!! The accord is classed as being a large size car in the UK and yet in the US you only class it as a small car :werd: