PDA

View Full Version : Changing the timing belt

Topnikko
07-11-2003, 07:05 AM
I'm looking for a "How To" article on changing the timing belt. Is this something a non-mechanical, tinkerer could do? I understand it would cost $300-400 in labor to have it done so I'd like to attempt it myself. Can anyone help me out?

Tref_LXI
07-11-2003, 07:51 AM
well you have to take off the uper timing belt cover, and then take off the lower timing belt cover. You have to take off your crankshaft to get off the lower timing belt cover. You then have to make sure your number 1 valve is at top dead center. You have to get a timing gun and test it on the tranny to make sure you have it on the T mark. So its not all that easy, because off the room you have to work in. YOu remove the drivers side tire so you can access the crankshaft to get it off. So you might want to ask around on the phone how much it would cost to have it replaced. My parents never replaced the belt on my old engine and let it break at 136k. It didnt have any problems until 178k when it started breaking spark plugs, and giving me a lot of problems from the bent valves.

DBMaster
07-11-2003, 09:10 AM
Actually, you remove the CRANK PULLEY, not the crankshaft. That would ba a BIG job, indeed. :)

Seriously, though, this is not a job for the non-mechanically inclined person. Definitely an advanced do-it-yourselfer job.

I have found that no matter how careful you are that the timing won't work right unless you go ahead and set the crank and cam at EXACTLY TDC AFTER THE BELT IS OFF. It makes the timing perfect after you put the belt back on. Over time, normal wear of the old belt will leave your cam and crank just slightly off where they need to be.

I have done mine twice and now that I have a decent wage I may just pay my favorite Honda shop to do it next time. They will even use parts that I provide.

Tref_LXI
07-11-2003, 09:12 AM
sorry i ment the crank pulley,, lol
I did it while the engine was outside and it was very easy, but inside of the engine bay i think would be a pain in the ass. I could do it, but it just would take more time.

DBMaster
07-11-2003, 12:06 PM
It would be WAY easier to do it with the engine out. The biggest problem is room to work and all the shit you have to remove to get to the timing belt. I also had to restrain myself from taking a whack at it with a sledgehammer trying to get the tensioner pully to stay on its little, too short peg while putting the cover back on. Those of you who have done this know what I am talking about. If they had just made that stupid peg about 1/2" longer it would make the job much easier.

There have also been many ideas on how to break loose the crank pulley bolt. Both times I just slipped a mechanic $5 to break it loose with an air tool and then hand tighten it for the drive home. Well worth it! Found out my next door neighbor owns a compressor and impact wrench so if I do it next time I'll save the trouble.

Tref_LXI
07-11-2003, 02:25 PM
i just shoved a screwdriver into the flywheel hole and let it hit the wall so it could not budge. This works very good for getting it off by yourself.