PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else get this?

Dibbs
07-11-2003, 08:32 AM
I am proud to say that my car is 17 years old and I have driven all but 5 of them. I haven't ever really done anything to my car other than scheduled maintenence and whatever ins and outs have came along. Things are going awry with the car more frequently than they did before (ie sensors, oil leaks, leaking, burnt tranny)and I've decided that it's time for a change as far as the drivetrain goes. I also have a 17 year old suspension on my car and I can feel it! I'm currently preparing to drop about $700 on the suspension. I think I can get the susp. back close to showroom condition for $700 including some used wheels & new tires (I got a hook-up on that part). :D

Also, at the end of the summer, I'm going to drop a new engine/tranny combo into my car. It looks like I might be able to fix up a b20a swap (read my post in the Engine Swaps forum) for about another $700 not including the new misc. swap parts, fluids, hoses, gaskets, and mount inserts, etc. so for saftey's sake, lets say a $1000. That brings the total to $1700. Put in another $300 for materials on finishing the rest of my interior, plus I'm getting bodywork and a new paintjob done for swapping out an upholstery job that a painter friend of mine want's done (Freebie! :super: ). This brings the grand total to $2K. This is my plan and this is what I'll have done by the end of the summer.

The problem that I constantly run into is my friends always looking at me w/ a puzzled look when I tell them what I'm gonna do w/ my car. They all say: "Why not get a new car?" I know some of you guys & gals have been through this argument a time or two. Do ppl just not have sentimental attatchment to their autos anymore or what? I'm not stupid; I know I can get another car. I just don't want to. I don't want anyone on this board to think I'm bragging but I make a pretty good living. I can afford another car but why, when I have a perfectly good car that I know inside and out (well better say "almost know" 'cause some of you guys here blow my mind w/ all the shit you know), and can service at my leisure w/o having to worry about voiding warranties over stupid crap like installing a car stereo or whatever. I'm gonna stop this rant now.:rant: But I know a lot of you have got to identify w/ what I'm sayin'

NXRacer
07-11-2003, 08:47 AM
I know exactly what you're saying!! I tell my parents about my ideas and they shake their head in amazement. My friends do the same thing. The main reason why i decided to stay with my car and not get a new one is that i like driving something different. Hardly anybody in my area drives nice 3Gs. When mine is done, people are going to look and say "hey, nice car". And they're also going to be amazed when i leave em in the dust......:devil: I'm so sick and tired of every tom dick and harry driving a Civic. I'm proud of my 3G and and will continue to improve it as much as possible.

G Man89
07-11-2003, 10:03 AM
My older brother use to say it's too old to do anything; that it would just be a waste of money, but now he understands and he even gives me some ideas. I think this change is mostly because he got himself a Honda (96 Civic DX), and he realize the fun of driving a Honda. He even want to mod his car, but not rice it out. He's wants to add performance to it.

cdscowboy
07-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Yeah, none of my family really understands why I do what I do to my car. I have to explain the benefits of the performance upgrades (my dad really doesn't like my exhaust...he calls it my "anti-muffler" :lol). I don't know how I'll explain the necessity of a DC header...:lol Some people are surprised how old my car is, and it even surprises me, too. It looks really good for 14 years old. As most people here do, I hope when I'm done, people will look at my car and say "Nice car". I love my car, I love fixing it, and she's my baby :crying::super::lol

86AccordLxi
07-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Yes, I love it when people say, "that's, what, a 93?" Haha...no way..86 All da way!!

Alex

ALTERED4
07-11-2003, 02:16 PM
honestly, i havent quite gotten over my loss, 10 years adds up to a lot of memories...

on the other hand i am quite thankful that my mother, my 2.5 year old son, and myself walked away from the crash, with at most, a bruise or two...

at first i was in denial... i couldnt believe my baby was on her way to car heaven... i wouldve spent whatever it took to get her looking good and running again...

ive learned one thing from this, perhaps two... i will never get attached to a car again, and, i will never again invest more money into a car than what the car is worth...

i couldnt believe i went up to my wife and appologized for being so stubborn... for the past 8 years, she has been harrasing me for driving, and putting money into a 3g...

stizle
07-11-2003, 02:25 PM
If i had a dollar for every time that i have heard that. Even when i crashed the car people like you got all this money why dont you get a new accord. And like you said its not that i cant afford it but i just dont need or want a new one (even though the new coupes are the best lookin cars runnin--besides a 3gee ). I love my car and i will keep it forever.

3Geez forever and im proud of it!!!

Represent

tk89acc
07-11-2003, 03:33 PM
People are constantly asking why I continue to sink money in my "old ass accord" I just tell them I like to be different and see there faces when they see this.....
http://www.streetsourcemag.com/uploads/Ownerprofiles/tk89acc/71200385905PM98561.jpg

88' Accord Ltd
07-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Haha I know exactly what you guys are saying! My dad can't see how modding my car is going to give me benefit, its my hobby I guess you can say. He thinks buying my intake was the biggest waste of money ever and thinks taking it up to 5k once in a while will blow my engine. I don't even want to know what he'll say after I bring my car out next spring with Seans turbo kit on it! :eek:

BITESIZE
07-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Diddo.....I like telling people......I got 257,000 miles BITCH, how many you got. I like my car and I take care of her, cause she takes care of me.

Reptile
07-11-2003, 09:30 PM
I understand fully. I wanted a fully loaded 89 LX-i, it would have been my third 3G. I got a damned 93 TOYota Corolla that I have nicknamed the Faggio for good reason.

hondacowboy003
07-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Ive had that same discussion with my mom (may she rest in peace). Im a second generation racer, so my dad and thankfully my wife understands that I want to make my car the best it can be. First problem though is getting it running again, then the modding can begin (when I get the money). I wouldnt want another car, a truck yes, but a car NOOOOOOOOOO. Ive fell in love with my 3g and Im gonna hang on to it as long as I can.

meangreenLXi
07-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Yes longevity, that's what I tell all my friends. One of my buddies has 79k on his saturn and he's having engine problems and he's about to pay his final payment on the car. He says he wants to get a new car. I tried to told em to get a Honda, better yet a 89 Accord because if you look around town there are alot of hondas driving w/rusted bodies, but they are still running. I told him just get one from the suburbs that grandma had and it should last forever if you continute to maintenance the car.

zero.counter
07-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Some say, "Man, you still have a carb?". I say, STFU biatch, my car has and will last longer than yours anyways, so whats the deal.
People also make the comment like, "Why are you spending money on that old POS, you should by a civic or cavalier, maybe a neon". I like my individuality, thank you. And being different than most or even rare is good. Civics are everywhere, remember, it is a "CIVIC NATION",he he. Cavaliers are cheap american durable goods, no further comment. But this old accord, more options are coming on-line and even though it is a heavy bastard, still very good on the freeway.

Sabz5150
07-13-2003, 10:45 AM
Yup, my friends/family say the same thing. I tell em that I can pay 300 dollars for an engine to rebuild or 10,000 dollars for a new car that I'll have ungodly insurance on and won't last anywhere as long as my Accord.

My dad understands though, he tricked out his first car (49 Ford) when he was in his mid 20's :)

Hash_man_Se_i
07-13-2003, 03:11 PM
Ya my family doesn't get it at all. I just told them I want to get a deck, and they went insane, saying that its not worth it because we already have a damn car-kit:mad: .... But the car has 218,000kms and runs great. It has a few problems, but they are small and I know excactly what they are. So ya, instead of spending my money I make over the summer on the accord, I could sell it and buy a newer civic or some shit, but then, just like any used car u buy, it will need more money put into it, and I will always find some other problem. And then, I wouldnt have leather, or steering wheel audio controls, or any luxuries that the se-i has. I am gonna stick with what I know.. and maybe buy a shitty old ae86 to go racing with when I have the money. :)

dXsquared
07-13-2003, 03:28 PM
i think i would love my accord if it wasnt such a hunk of shit

i got the worst car possible

400 000 kms
carbed
rotten rear lips
interior was severly abused by the previous 10 owners
so now its got no interior, and im starting to do some bodywork.. i still dunno if i wanna find a junked hatch with a nice interior( super rare in canada) and transplant, or turn this interior into a race car style... no panels, no rear seats, no carpet, and just bedliner rubber all over the floors and walls...

this is such a bitch...i wanna make it cool so i can drive it for 6 months and then sell it.. maybe get a civic HB... maybe gat a nice accord... im still undecided.. but i really like the support for 4th gen civics

Travis