PDA

View Full Version : pcv really necessary?

racerx
07-11-2003, 10:00 AM
Here's the story from the beginning:
I was going to replace my pcv valve, and as I was pulling it out of it's little hose seat thing, the hose underneath just fell off and away! Apparently, it was never connected. So, I just plugged the line going to the carb. Is that ok? It runs fine, but I'm just a little worried...
I have a carbed accord, btw.

Justin86
07-11-2003, 01:03 PM
That hose is suppose to hook up to a black box behind the engine. If the hose is now connected then it should work. Also did ou check to see if your PCV valve is working good. Just blow into one end and air should go out the other. It is a one way valve so you have to blow into the right side. I think it is the the small part of the valve if I remember right.

pimp86LX
07-11-2003, 01:07 PM
I would say yes! doesn't the pcv (positive crankcase ventalation??) relieve the pressure therefore reducing the chance of bad blow-by? Thats what i thought it did. Miunno don't quote me on it.

racerx
07-11-2003, 04:07 PM
Yeah, the thing was working ok, the new of course worked better. But, what I mean is, the hose that connects to that box was never connected!! So, there's obviously enough ventilation back there, just no valve regulating it...

Not like a rock
07-11-2003, 05:20 PM
So, the blow by is just venting freely into your engine compartment? Does it ever seep through your dash vents or come up from under the hood at stoplights? My (excessive) blowby is vented out of my valve cover and it does that sometimes. Maybe if your engine is running really well there isn't enough blow by to notice.

racerx
07-12-2003, 05:20 AM
Yeah, there has always been some smoke coming from under the hood at lights and whatever... Not billowing coulds, but yeah, it seeps. Is this all it is? That means I could just reconnect the hose, put it through the pcv, and on the other side of the pcv I could put a breather filter on! Viola, no smoke, no problem!

...right?...

racerx
07-12-2003, 09:08 PM
anyone???

Not like a rock
07-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Yeah, racer. Just hook it back up. It's better for the environment that way. And you won't get the smoke seeping up from under the hood.