PDA

View Full Version : Electir supercharger!?!?!?!!

Brettmans5
07-12-2003, 02:06 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2423311911&category=33741
i was bored, and decided to snoop around ebay( a great source for parts for good prices.....sometimes :) ) and i came across this. Now i have dealt with super chargers before, i have put a paxton super charger on a ford thunderbird and had one on my old GMC jimmy S-15 4x4(no not on the crappy 2.8 but on a 350...and yes they do fit...it just takes el crapload of work) and they were belt drive...but ELECTRIC!?!?!!?:wtf:
so has anyone tried this thing out or heard anything about it? just curious casue i would be interested in real world facts that it does indeed work and works well, not direct from the manufacturers mouth (becuase we all know a company will never admit when their product doesn't quite live up to their claims).

Brettmans5
07-12-2003, 02:08 AM
and yes i am quite aware that i mis-spelt electric in the thread title......its late, its hot, and i have drank nearly 3 liters of lemonade.....i am quite suprised i haven't vibrated through the wall i am so wired on sugar.

pimp86LX
07-12-2003, 02:22 AM
they complete BS. it may claim it can produce up to 1psi but it doesn't. To do that it would take something around 48v. Someone on this board knows the math..

but its a hoax.

shepherd79
07-12-2003, 04:12 AM
they actually will reduce your horse power because they won't flow enough air.

3rdGenFanatic
07-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Actually, I think you could get a good flow going with work. Think about it, Our current carb flows about 300 and something CFM. If you got your hands on a 700+ CFM motor ran to a 110v inverter, you could move some serious air, but then again fuel management would be tight.

Brettmans5
07-12-2003, 11:03 PM
i sorta could see this working, i mean all a supercharger does is force air into the combustion chamber, and super chargers are belt drivin, the only difference would be that this is powered by electricity. but the problem i see is what pimp86lx said is that it can't produce enough boost at the power level its drawing.

pimp86LX
07-13-2003, 05:07 AM
ohya i didn't mean to bash the concept or anything. its IS a supercharger. but lets face it an electric motor would have to be pretty damn powerfull to push enuogh CFM. And a car's electrical system is just not up to the task without serious modification/consideration. A belt driven super would be so much easier and you would actually get the HP that the electric one claims to.

racerx
07-13-2003, 09:05 AM
This is like all those products you see at the back of Import Tuner and Sport Compact Car... you know, the ads that say "SuperCharge ANY Car For 69.95" or whatever.

For instance, check out http://www.turbonator.com/
I'm with everyone else; I don't think it would make that big of a difference.

1988starter
07-13-2003, 12:08 PM
Read this I know it is the not the same as the pict but is is the same type of deal
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects/el_blower/index.html

Brettmans5
07-13-2003, 01:29 PM
heeeeheeeheeeeee cool......bout what i figured. to bad though....wouldn't it be nice if you could slap on horsepower like that....and boy if stickers added horse power too that would be great :rolleyes: