PDA

View Full Version : Carbs, EFIs, and Sidedrafts.

Osiris
07-13-2003, 06:46 AM
I know this subject has been discussed many times over but i want peoples personal opinions on what i should do cuz the more i read the more confused i get. Okay, heres the scenerio.

1. I have 86 LX (carb). Now I want a good engine platform to start building a performance engine. My problem is whats the best place to start. Ive read that the 86-87 EFIs have 110hp and the 88-89s have 120hp. If thats true should i find a 88-89 efi to do my conversion if i decide to? And from what i understand the EFI models have more bolt-ons that can be custom made to put on.

2. Then theres staying with my carbed engine and just buying the weber. How much HP gain are we talking about then and how far can i go with a carb setup as compared to a EFI setup?

3. Last but not least i read on another post about using the 85' prelude heads and setting up a custom sidedraft motor. But stock specs for that engine is 100hp.

What do yall think is the best way to start out. Also remember i dont mind spending the money in the beggining as long as i know that i can keep doing new things to the engine without hitting a brick wall. TIA (sorry for the length :D )

EDIT: Also for those who have done it or know about it, plz tell me pros and cons of the setup and ease of installation.

Prelude sidedraft with dual Webers
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/281000-281999/281725_4_full.jpg

shepherd79
07-13-2003, 07:09 AM
well here is my answer.
1. you are right about EFI hp, but i am not sure about more bolts on stuff. EFI and carb have about the same amount of bolts on.
2. IMO if you want turbo on your car, you should go with EFI. If you want NA motor, you should stick with carbs. they are a lot easier to tune.
3. about the prelude engines. yes, they have less HP, but you don't want the A18 block. Stick A18 cylinder head on A20 block and you have a nice monster.

Osiris
07-14-2003, 02:37 AM
I guess im leaning towards the A18 head with dual carbs setup. My mechanic says there a bitch to work with tho. He probaly says that tho because hes a mechanic and he doesnt like to see "odd" setups in his shop :lol:

Osiris
07-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Shep: so are you saying if i want a NA motor i should attempt putting the prelude head on. Has anyone else tried this. And if it bolts right on, why hasnt anyone tried it?