PDA

View Full Version : AC Problem

toaster13
07-13-2003, 08:27 AM
ok, heres the deal, a year and a half ago just before i got the car the ac was completely redone, quite expensive, and it worked fine last summer and even in the fall, but when i tried this summer, it doesn't kick on at all. there is no drop in power when it is on, i checked the fuses and they are all good and i'm nor sure where to start to look for problems, any help would be appreciated,

thanks

Mac
07-13-2003, 08:39 AM
You might have a leak. First disconnect the switch on the accumulator, and short out the 2 contacts. With the engine running and the a/c on see if the compressor clutch engages and the fan runs. If they do you are low on freon and have a leak. You must first fix the leak, then vacuum system and re charge.

If fan does not come on, then you might have electrical problem or a bad clutch on compressor.

toaster13
07-16-2003, 05:57 PM
i bought some refrigerant R-134 and started to add it to the low pressure side, and i could hear a hiss coming from the bottom left corner of the condensor. i think that's where it is. does anyone know if there is any hoses or seals that are there. i'm hoping that i don't need to replace the condensor.

Mac
07-16-2003, 06:11 PM
First was your car converted to 134 because 88 accord normally uses R 12.

The condenser has 2 lines going to it and I believe they both have o-rings. Also condensers are subject to rock damage from the road because they are right up front.

I changed my condenser a while back because it was leaking. I could see in the bottom left corner a build up of oil. That's how I knew it was leaking. Check all around the condenser for oil, if you see some more than likely it's leaking.

Condensers aren't very hard to change. You will need to go through the proper steps. Evac system, fix leak, change accumulator, vacuum, and recharge.

toaster13
07-26-2003, 12:31 PM
ok, i got the problem fixed i ended up needing a new condensor and a dryer. how sad, but now it works,
my only question is does any one know what the pressure on each side is supposed to be with r134. is it the same as with r12, and if so what is that?

89LxiAg
07-27-2003, 09:13 PM
Do you know if your AC has been converted to R-134a? If it hasn't, then you are risking expensive damage to seals and all the hoses by introducing that refrigerant into an R-12 system. Please find out which refrigerant it uses before putting any into the system.

Your system is most likely R-12 based, if it is still original equipment.

Unfortunately, I can't find the pressure specs right now. A reputable shop should know, hell try asking the Honda dealership. I know they can tell you. Good luck.