PDA

View Full Version : car's rusted out, opinions needed

ProtoVivanta
07-13-2003, 05:00 PM
Well I love my 3g and everywhere I go people tell me to not get a new point job and to not get any work done because it would be cheaper to buy a new, better car. But I love my 3g, and I really want to make it nice someday so I want to get the rust taken care of. Theres lots on the trim over the wheels. and by the wheels themselves and etc.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19060

I could have the shop do it. or I could do alot of the work myself. What do you guys think? New car? bodyshop? myself? I am pretty low on funds, so keep that in mind.

Has anyone else taken off alot of rust themselves? Advice? Thanks alot.

dXsquared
07-13-2003, 05:06 PM
i just started rebuilding my rear fender lips... i am using fibreglass... its actually my dad doin the work.. he is a body guy.. but the 3 g is where its at.. i would vote STAY with the 3g

Travis

A Dawg Jr
07-13-2003, 07:37 PM
I second that. I've got a little rust too. Not as much as you, and I'm havin' the shop take car of it when I take it to get painted. Don't know what the cost will be, haven't got a quote yet, but probably around a grand with paint. Good luck

pimp86LX
07-13-2003, 07:40 PM
I welded in new fender lips, new front 1/4 panels(bolted those ) and welded in new rockers. It made it look-a-like-a-new!!!

Osiris
07-13-2003, 08:44 PM
Do what you feel really. Your money, your time. Only rust I have though is the battery holder base from the old "leaky" battery my mother-in-law had.

ProtoVivanta
07-13-2003, 10:41 PM
I want to keep it, I need advice on the rust repair, i've got the how to down, but anything more would be helpful.

pimp86LX
07-13-2003, 10:50 PM
use metal were you can, otherwise short-strand fibre resin worked best for me.

ProtoVivanta
07-14-2003, 10:04 AM
I don't have the tools to weld or anything =/, so ill have to user fiberglass all around, how long does it take for a decent size area? I just want to know so I can plan my days. Thanks again guys.