PDA

View Full Version : Balancing

Sabz5150
07-14-2003, 11:17 AM
I was quoted a price of 250 dollars for a crank balancing(I have to bring him the pistons, rods, crank and all the other goodies for him to do it). Although this might be a few months away, is this a decent price for such a job? Also with the mods I currently have would this be the next direction to head to? I'll get forged pistons and rods out of the deal too :D

Just gotta wait for my monetary flow to increase.

PhydeauX
07-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Make sure that when you bring the stuff to be balanced that you bring the stuff thats going to end up being in the car. The price can vary greatly depening on you're area, the shops reputation, etc... that seems like a fare price to me for a full balance job. Then again its been 3 years since I last looked into engine work.

andy

hondacowboy003
07-14-2003, 12:35 PM
IMO balancing is a very good option, even if ya dont have an engine mods on the car. Just make sure like PhydeauX said ya take the machinist the parts going back into the engine, balancing wont work if you take the stock pistons, rods and flywheel in then try putting aftermarket rods and pistons on, youll just waste your money. Good luck

*edit* lemme clarify this up alittle, when the rotating assembly is balanced ( pistons,rods, crank, flywheel and harmonic balancer) each part is "shaved" down to match the piston or rod with the lowest weight, i.e if one piston weighs 450 grams and another weighs 500 g, another weighs 475 g, and the last one weighs 455g, they will all be milled down to match the one that weighs 450 g, same for the rods. As for the crank they will take away and add metal to the counterweights to get it to within +/- 1gram of everything else.

When ya get it all back and put the car back together you should be able to rev up alittle higher and should notice an increase in acceleration. Hope this helps.

A20A1
07-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Hrm... I thought only V engine configurations came with harmonic balancers

Kevin
07-14-2003, 08:25 PM
Balancing will help quite a bit on moters!! WIth balancing a bottem end adding 11.0 compression on an h22 in an 94 accord go from 14.4 @ 96 to 14.0 @ 102 w/o drag radials!! :)

Justin86
07-14-2003, 08:43 PM
On a stock engine it won't madder much. But if you have heavy mods ie. turbo, and a lot of hp it will be worth it.

hondacowboy003
07-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Your right Mike, my bad, I was going on the assumption that the A20AA1 used a harmonic balancer.

AccordEpicenter
07-15-2003, 11:35 AM
well the crank pully is sorta used as a harmonic balancer, ive heard lots of bad thing when people change them out for lighter ones etc

Kevin
07-16-2003, 09:25 PM
i dont no about our cars butt h22s have balance shafts!! BC when my buddy got his crank full balanced he didnt need them!!! You can a little hp and tourque but also lets the moter tack up quicker and gets rid of grag on the moter!!!

AccordEpicenter
07-17-2003, 06:20 AM
we dont have balanced shafts... F22s and H22s etc do i think. I dont know about d series engines but i doubt it.