PDA

View Full Version : Brake hose failure

martik
07-14-2003, 01:10 PM
Both of my 88 accord (200k miles) front brake hoses have burst in the last 2 months resulting in almost total loss of braking each time. Isn't the system designed to maintain some braking ability when one of the four hoses fail?

89lxi95zx7
07-14-2003, 01:15 PM
there like $50 a piece too

MrBen
07-14-2003, 01:17 PM
I had no brakes at all when mine went. They are like 70 bucks apiece from Honda :huh:

martik
07-14-2003, 01:35 PM
They are free from the auto wrecker. I just look for one in good shape, after all, the ones on our cars are used anyways!

MrBen
07-14-2003, 01:53 PM
I dunno, I wanted new ones. There are things you can skimp on, but I dont want to deal with another brake line burst on the freeway doing 80mph. :)

Darkside
07-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Go for the stainlees steel line a coplete set is just over 100 bucks. Darkside

cruznz
07-14-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by martik
Both of my 88 accord (200k miles) front brake hoses have burst in the last 2 months resulting in almost total loss of braking each time. Isn't the system designed to maintain some braking ability when one of the four hoses fail?

yes, but seeing as its a diagonal braking system only 2 brakes would be working and with the fluid loss,you need to keep pumping the pedal to get any decent braking effect,(which usually isn't enough at times to stop)

here in NZ, any brake lines/hoses that show any form of wear,automatically fails a warrant of fitness

there had been incidents of passed WOF inspections where the brake hose has burst resulting in serious accidents in which the mechanic/s who passed the inspection was prosecuted and jailed

BITESIZE
07-14-2003, 11:57 PM
That happened to me on my older 86 accord. The breaking of even one line, results in lost compression to the calipers and cylinders, which means no breaks. It's kind of like blowing on a straw with your finger covering one end and then letting your go really fast. Get the concept? The hoses are about $60 bucks.

Also, If the fluid is gone, use your ebrake to slow down, like you do in the winter and snow to spin cookies. Actually if you pull up and down fast on the ebrake you can stop with out the brake pedal. I practiced after my lines broke. You get pretty good at it after a while. Plus you can have some more fun in the snow.

bambamky
07-20-2003, 12:22 PM
I have a brand new brake line on the pass side works fine

zero.counter
07-20-2003, 04:49 PM
the way that the hydraulic system actually works is a split design, meaning separate circuits for the left front/rear and the tight front/rear brakes. Normally if one circuit fails, the other will remain functional and a warning light should appear when a lot of brake fluid is lost.

maxoutracer
07-21-2003, 08:54 AM
check your brake system and bleed it correctly, i would go with steel brake lines, you will noticethe diff. i'm currnelty running earl and you can't go wrong with it!