PDA

View Full Version : ***Capacitor location?***

Mike's89AccordLX
07-15-2003, 08:25 AM
I was thinking I could put a capacitor where that fold down armrest is in the back seat of the LX. Take that armrest out and have the cap visible so I can see the charge it has all the time. I'm getting a digital cap. Is this a unique cool spot for puting it there? Would this location conflict with anything? Let me know what you guys think.

HostileJava
07-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Sound good, just make sure no one tries to rest there arm on it or ZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-15-2003, 09:15 AM
Well I was also thinking about putting plexi glass over it to cover it. It's just a thought I think that I will probably just put it in the trunk though.

86hatchbackLXi
07-15-2003, 09:18 AM
thats a pretty cool idea, just try and make sure that your not running tons of wire, and that it wont get pinched when opening or closing the armrest. its best to have the cap as close to the amp as possible to have the best effect

Mike's89AccordLX
07-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Well I wouldn't have an armrest in the back seat if I did this. And I plan to have a cap that has a dist. block on the top of it. So I don't know if it will even fit. I guess I will need to buy it and then find a spot. I just thought it would be a sweet spot for it.

Morbid Intentionz
07-16-2003, 01:25 PM
I have no armrest back there so i cut a piece of plexi and formed it. I think that would be a great place. Let me know how it goes?

Mike's89AccordLX
07-16-2003, 01:39 PM
Oh damn someone already did that. I just won a cap so when I get it I will figure out where it will go. It's a 2 farad digital cap and has dist. blocks on it. It's pretty sweet.

HostileJava
07-16-2003, 01:55 PM
On ebay? Post the link if there is a pic of it, I'd like to see it.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-16-2003, 02:02 PM
http://images.auctionhelper.com/images/[email protected]/STINGPRO2FARADPIC2.jpg

http://images.auctionhelper.com/images/[email protected]/STINGPRO2FARADPIC3.jpg

http://images.auctionhelper.com/images/[email protected]/STINGPRO2FARADPIC4.jpg

AccordEpicenter
07-17-2003, 06:16 AM
it would look cool but youre kinda defeating the purpose. Its better to have the cap right next to the amp so youre not having the wire inflict a loss of the cap's stiffening. It would work, but you wouldnt be getting the full effect of the cap.

pimp86LX
07-17-2003, 06:21 AM
holy crap thats a huge cap. how much power are you drawing? Is it enough to actually need a 2 farad cap or is it just for shits and giggles?

HostileJava
07-17-2003, 07:40 AM
Looks reall nice, how much you get it for?

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 07:47 AM
I got it for $89. And well you can look at my sig and see my system. I will be having a 1000W Kenwood 2 channel for my two 12's and a 600w Kenwood 4 channel powering my four 6.5's I think I need a 2 farad and so did a few other people.

87DXHatch
07-17-2003, 10:05 AM
In my opinion, caps are nearly worthless. Pretty to look at, pretty to impress people with, and many places have fooled you into thinking you need them. The distribution block on that one will be nice, and so will the LED display, but you do not need a cap.

Have you upgraded your under-hood wiring yet? Engine block to chassis, negative battery to chassis, and alternator to + battery? THAT is what you should do, and then if you still have dimming, upgrade alternator and battery.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Well I have already have the upgraded battery. I haven't upgraded the underhood wiring yet. I have always wanted to do a custom ground setup. Get some nice stereo ground wire and redo all the grounds. And I guess I have always been told that having a cap is less wear and tear on your alternator. And I looked at getting a Stinger alt. and they wanted $650 for theirs. So that was out of the question. I don't even know where all the grounds are under the hood. Sounds like a how to needs to be made. someone anyone?:rolleyes:

87DXHatch
07-17-2003, 10:21 AM
I did it, I can tell you how to do it, but I have to go to work now... when I get back later tonight I can tell you.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Sweet thanks. I wanted to do that a long time ago and kinda got forgotten. If you have pics that would rock but if you don't and someone else has them please post them b/c I might not know where everything is without seeing it.

Bloodlust
07-17-2003, 10:33 AM
I wouldnt put it on your folding back seat. I put my two amps (which are fairly good size and barely fit there..) on the back of the seat. I put my Capacitor in my trunk. Put it to the left of your box (if you have enough room that is..) You drill the bracket that holds the cap to the very left and stand the cap upright. That way you can see the digital display easily when you open your trunk, I will take a pic today and post it. Also, if you have multiple amps and the cap, you can put the grounds all to a D-Block and then ground one wire to the back left of the trunk. That is basically my setup and it works great for me, and I think it would for you because we have the same exact cars.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Dang I didn't think people when to that site. One of the main reasons I got that cap is b/c of the 2.0 farad, digital, and has the distribution blocks on it already. So I killed two birds with one stone when I bought that cap. Post some pics, that would be sweet.

Bloodlust
07-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Alright, I will post them right after I am done work at 7:00 PM Eastern Time. It is not the cleanest installation job, but it will get my point across. What kind of cap do you have? 2 Farad? Must have been pricy.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 12:54 PM
Nope, good ebay find.

Bloodlust
07-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Yeah thats where I found my two 1 Farad Caps. 2 of them for $150.00. I only have one of them hooked up right now because I am too lazy to install the buss bar. But anyways, cant go wrong with ebay!

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 01:29 PM
I'm getting kinda scared b/c I paid for it yesterday and I haven't heard from the seller about a shipment notification. Maybe I'm just anxious to get it.

HostileJava
07-17-2003, 01:41 PM
I do like the distro block on the top, I wonder if they have Caps with more connections on the distro. I'd need one 4g going in and 3-4 8g going out.

Bloodlust
07-17-2003, 01:43 PM
You are probably just getting anxious. If you are unsure, check his feedback rating. If there are alot of negatives, you probably shouldnt have bought it from him. And if he has like no feedback, definitely dont buy from him because he probably provided ebay with wrong info and is just trying to scam someone out of a couple of bucks. Trust me, its happened to me. I bought an amp for 200 bucks and the guy sent it to me and it was totally fried. I contacted ebay about it, filed a complaint, and they didnt do shit about it. The guy still has my money and I am still pissed about it. So now I do a check on the guy I buy it from just to make sure he is reliable.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Dang... she just emailed me like 2 minutes ago so it's all good.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Sweet deal I got my amp kit in the mail a minute ago. I got a 2 gauge Power Acoustik Amp Kit.

pimp86LX
07-17-2003, 03:39 PM
2 guage! nice!!! I have a 4 guage going to a 4x10g distribution block :D

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Cool. I just thought of something I need help figuring out. I have 33ft of nice speaker wire. But I honestly don't think it will be enough. (after you hide the wires and wire fronts and rears, it might not be enough) Can I use different kind of speaker wire with the stuff I have? Or should I take the wire I have to a store and tell them I want speaker wire as close as I can get to this? Let me know what you guys think about this.

87DXHatch
07-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Speaker wire essentially means nothing. As long as it's the same guage, low-grade will perform almost identically compared to expensive stuff... it's just one more "security blanket" thing that some people have gotten drilled into their heads by manufacturers like Monster.

HostileJava
07-21-2003, 06:21 PM
Just make sure when you connect it that you solder it together and don't just wrap and tape, less resistance means more power.

cdscowboy
07-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Holy giant capacitor Batman!!! :lol Looks pretty nice though, man! Personally, I think it'd look good in the armrest, but it'd serve more of a purpose if it was as close as possible to you amps...less resistance from the wires...though probably negligable. Take pics when you're done man!!! :D

PS...I want my strut bar :D :lol

AccordEpicenter
07-22-2003, 09:58 AM
I agree with 87dxhatch about alot of this stuff. As long as you have a heavy enough gauge and a good connection, chances are you wont hear the difference between cheap speaker wire and expensive stuff, especially in car audio with 2000W amplifiers. The length and the quality and or method of connection for the speaker wires matters more. There is some good to capacitors, they are supposed to stiffen up the power supply so the amp will hit harder and play cleaner, but most people use them to cure bad dimming, which they are just a bandaid for. If you run into serious dimming, the cap wont prevent you from burning up an alternator or draining a battery.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-22-2003, 11:51 AM
I just got my 4 channel amp today and will get my cap on the 28th. It's taken a long ass time for that cap and she is getting negative feedback for sure.

Magny
08-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Dude if you would have an imagination for a second here. Doing that idea of putting the cap where the arm rest is is still a good spot. To help get the power to the amp quickly, port some holes on the back and feed it through there and brace the amp on the back of the seat. I did the same idea too, but my system got jacked. wonder how they knew how to get it out so fast without anyone knowin lol. If u need any help with instructions on doing this, hit me up. I'll guide you step by step. Can't show pics of it cause damn digi cam still not found in the storage lol.

HostileJava
08-22-2003, 05:26 AM
Jesus, yet another thread back from the dead. Hows this project going by the way?

Cyric_accord
08-22-2003, 07:17 AM
I know this won't work for our cars unless you cut the plastic console surrounding the shift selector or stick... but my friend in his taurus wagon(shitty car, he hates it too) has his amp placed up against the front wall, mounted so the wires from his HU hit it right away and then he put a cap right underneath the dash between the driver and passenger seats so he could look down and see the digital display, plus right next to the amp.

I'll see if I can get a pic off of him.

NOAHS88accord
08-22-2003, 07:35 AM
I installed everything on my back seat. Amp, Alarm brain unit, Capacitor, and a black light ( I know I know thats rice, but it looks cool when you open the trunk at night and see a purplish glow and the white RF on the subs lighting up

If i was you i would install it in the armrest like you want then run the wires throught the armrrest to the amp which is mounted on your back seat. no loss of power and it will look cool