PDA

View Full Version : Smoke From Front Engine Compartment

infecto
07-15-2003, 08:48 AM
I havn't gotten the chance to check out where the smoke is coming from but here is what I know. Smells like burnt oil so and its coming from the area either at or below the oxygen sensors. Could be oil leaking and burning on a hot piece but unsure completly since I don't notice oil leaking at all. Havn't tried putting a piece of cardboard underneath overnight to see if anything leaks either. The other thing I was thinking is that since one of my oxy. sensors is dead could there be a possible problem with that involving the smoke? Not sure how the oxy. senor runs with the engine so unsure. Any ideas would be great.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Blow by? Is it constantly smoking or just when you shut it off?

infecto
07-15-2003, 09:07 AM
it seems to be mostly when I shut it off there will be a large amount of smoke coming out but its not all the time. Havn' really noticed it while driving except once. So its not a constant stream of smoke just a big puff of it. And like I said It seems to be coming from around the oxy. sensors right under that heat shield so not sure if its coming from below or not.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Ok what you need to do is have the hood up and have someone else shut the car off and see where it comes from.

Imran
07-15-2003, 09:24 AM
I have the same problem. I don't know what to do tho. It smells like burnt oil, so I go with the assumption that oil is falling on some hot part and burning. I have an oil leak, not sure from where I am hoping it is from the cover only.

In my case there's smoke when I stop at a light or when I turn off my car, but while driving I don't see any smoke. Just wanted to know how serious this is.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-15-2003, 09:34 AM
Well hopefully it's just the valve cover gasket that's bad.

Imran
07-15-2003, 09:39 AM
but once in a while i can see some smoke come out of the spark plugs. Now i am not sure if it is from the spark plugs or it is just around the spark plugs coz there's a bit of oil there too..

infecto
07-15-2003, 01:01 PM
I doubt mine is the valve cover because its coming from the front bottom of the engine.

cdscowboy
07-15-2003, 03:31 PM
You might try replacing the valve cover gasket. I was having the same problem, and although I didn't really know if it'd help, it did. And also, get under there and wipe off all the oil on the engine so it'll stop making that smoke, too. Valve cover gaskets are usually under $15, including the grommets for the nuts. :)

infecto
07-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Well mike I have a possible idea of what it could be. I was looking at where the smoke appears and it seems to be coming from the front on that piece of the frame thats right infront and under of the manifold. That bar also had a bid of fluid on there not just grease. Then while looking at the shield on the manifold I noticed that it was stained on the same side as the fluid from the smoke and above on the shield notice stains from something dripping on it. I am assuming its from the high power line of the power steering pump that is directly above. The line is always greasey and I do lose power steering fluid more then I should.

cestiii
07-16-2003, 04:28 PM
My accord smoked from the day I bought it. As I did my "tune-up" after purchasing the car I thought that the valve cover gasket was the most likely solution. nope, still leaked, changed it again and even used "the right stuff" gasket sealant." then I placed my hand on the pressure hose from the power steering pump to the rack. It was very wet so I wrapped an old white cloth around it and taped it with clear packing tape. after driving it I found a wet spot in the middle of the hose only and no more smoke. this was the problem for me, however don't rule out the valve cover gasket because all the oil sprayin on the valve cover from the power steering hose can deteriorate the gasket as it did do to mine ( had a crack and was very brittle). to change the power steering hose took about 45 minutes and cost about $30 at O'reilly's or Carquest but I would reccomment Genuine Honda Parts. Also There is a good power steering fluid that has special additives for Honda power steering systems and will help seals and internal parts, you should use this one. If you have the speed sensor on your transmission that allows more or less bypass for power steering fluid you should check the connections here too, as well as all connections in your power steering system. My first clue should have been the loss of power steering fluid when checking the power steering fluid resevoir. good luck, any other questions email me, don't know everything but try to learn something everyday!