PDA

View Full Version : Copper exhaust pipe gasket?

Mike's89AccordLX
07-15-2003, 09:48 AM
I was wondering if I could make a copper gasket for my exhaust pipe. Could I just buy a sheet of copper and cut it? I have heard of people using copper gaskets for header and head gaskets. but I haven't heard of anyone doing this for piping. What thickness would be best to use? I was thinking 1/8" would be good. Would a copper gasket leak? Thanks guys.

1988starter
07-15-2003, 10:03 AM
I made one with sheet steel 20 gauge I cut 6 identical pieces out and slapped them together to make a gasket after one of my pacesetter ones blew it has not leaked for over 8 months now.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-15-2003, 10:08 AM
I talked with this store and he found that he has a pair in stock. I told him the bolt length was 3" apart. $13 for the set of two. (copper) I think I will go there and look at it and see if it looks like it would match up. The guy called pacesetter and I told him that the pacesetter gaskets suck. Hopefully these look like they will work. I was thinking about just welding the pipes together. thanks for the info starter.

1988starter
07-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Yea they suck and I remember when I ordered my catback they forgot to even send the screws and gaskets.

wprocomp
07-15-2003, 01:27 PM
yeah my pacsetter header head peice is still leaking...facking pacesetter.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-15-2003, 04:12 PM
I got these Mr. Gasket collector gaskets. And they worked perfect for the test pipe to exhaust connection. And guess what? No RATTLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh it sounds so nice. I got stainless steel bolts and metal lock nuts. My problem before is I used those lock nuts with that nylon stuff in them and they just melted and then vibrated loose. So these should be good. And my car is finally mom approved! She said that it sounds better but that damn muffler is loud. (So I guess it's ok)

1988starter
07-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
I got these Mr. Gasket collector gaskets. And they worked perfect for the test pipe to exhaust connection. And guess what? No RATTLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh it sounds so nice. I got stainless steel bolts and metal lock nuts. My problem before is I used those lock nuts with that nylon stuff in them and they just melted and then vibrated loose. So these should be good. And my car is finally mom approved! She said that it sounds better but that damn muffler is loud. (So I guess it's ok)

Good to hear I bet it sounds a whole lot better now and you won't wake the folks when you come home at night