PDA

View Full Version : Comps running bass?

88accordlxcarb
07-15-2003, 10:48 AM
I wont be getting the amp for a month or so(got to wait for funds), but i already have the head unit(Clarion DXZ725) and the comps(Cerwin Vega V-Mag 5252).

I guess my biggest question is can i run just the comps off of the head unit? Are comps designed to handle the bass part of the music? I thought they were just mids and highs. I have plenty of 5/1/4 speakers that i am willing to blow(old factory ones), is there a way i can rig them up so they handle the bass and the comps handle the mids and highs?

I just dont want to blow my excellent set of comps i got for very cheap.

Any help would be nice.

Thanks

HostileJava
07-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Maybe it's just me, but what is a comp? Are you refering to competition amps or speakers?

dXsquared
07-15-2003, 11:03 AM
component speakers... they have external cross overs.. they are filtered to only play what they can handle.. you can run them off the head unit, but they wont be sounded as good as if they were externally amped

Travis

88accordlxcarb
07-15-2003, 11:07 AM
Thanks

Yeah comps..='s me to lazy to type component speakers.

HostileJava
07-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Oh, that makes a hell of alot more sense.

ghost_ny
07-15-2003, 01:30 PM
yes you can run your "comps" off your head unit

87DXHatch
07-15-2003, 07:36 PM
You can run them off your head unit but I would suggest against it if possible. The external crossover and other design elements bring the efficiency of most component sets to far below normal coaxial/triaxial speakers. What will probably end up happening is that you will have to turn up your headunit higher than normal to reach the desired volume level, and you will be most likely clipping your head unit (the speaker outs on head units do not produce much unclipped power) which can cause damage to the comps.

If you do run them off the head unit, keep the volume low.

And yes, components can handle bass just fine. Most often they can handle is a lot better than your normal coaxial/triaxial speakers. In fact, I just got a new set of components in today that has better bass than a good number of subwoofers out there.

88accordlxcarb
07-16-2003, 09:21 AM
Ok, thanks! I dont usually turn it up loud, i just like the clarity. I also dont listen to much heavy music, usually just classical and lite rock(and heavy metal :Lol).

It will only be for a month until i can get some more money to buy the amp and subs.