PDA

View Full Version : I have a Keihin compressor and I added R134a!! What do I do?!??!

gscream
07-15-2003, 11:19 AM
I know I'm the BIGGETST idiot to probably drive an 87 Honda Accord Dx. It's a carb. I knew absolutely nothing about the conversion stuff. All I knew was that my car wasn't blowing out cold air and I was gettin' hot. So I bought a recharging kit and put in a couple cans of 134a. My car stalls whenever I turn on the A/C and I think it's because of the STUPID mixture I did!! All so I hear this clicking or rattling noise coming from the camshaft near the compressor. I don't know if that's because of low oil or not. I don't know what I need to do besides pray. But do I need to drain anything. If so how exactly do I do that. I need some pics if you got'em. Also, will the mix up effect my CAR or just my A/C system?? Can I just let out the 134a and put some R12 back in there. I know a guy who can put it in there for me. BTW I only have $50 bucks. I need help! If there is nothing I can do, would be okay if I just road around with my air off. Also one more thing, could this be the reason why my car is overheating? Whenever I go outta town I turn the A/C on and it seems to help the overheating....now what????????????????????????:( :( :(

BITESIZE
07-15-2003, 12:43 PM
Your compressor is probably dead, and don't work on your car if you don't know what the f you are doing. Get help on the forum before working on your car, just a tip. Also you A/C takes power from your engine, so if your idle is too low, your engine will cut out.

Mac
07-15-2003, 03:33 PM
You need to go to an A/C shop and have them evac and flush the system. It's illegal to vent freon into atmosphere. Then ask them to do a leak check. Fix any leaks and recharge.

88accordlxcarb
07-15-2003, 03:42 PM
And its going to cost more than 50$....

Sounds like you got a lot of crap wrong with your car. I would spend the next few weeks reading every thread, FAQ, and How-To on this board.

You will need a new compressor(probably) so if you get one you will be limited to using only R12. It will cost way more than 50$ to get your AC work done. I would expect to spend upwards of 500$ to fix your AC since you will have to get a new compressor and must use R12(plus fixing leaks and all that).

I would get used to having wind blowing in your hair.

Mac
07-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Yup it's gonna cost to fix that A/C. Get use to driving with windows down if you don't have the cash to fix.

As far as the overheating, sounds like your fan isn't coming on and when you turn on your A/C the fans will come on as long as you got freon (no matter what kind you got.) There's a switch in the bottom of radiator that turns on the fan at about 190 deg. Most likely the switch is shot.

The stalling can be alot of things but when you put on the A/C you are putting a load on the engine.

You got a few more important issues to fix before you worry about A/C.

Also change your oil.

gscream
07-15-2003, 05:32 PM
I went to this shade tree mechanic and he said he'd let out the 134a. When I got the car back, I could press the A/C button and the car wouldn't shut off. But the only problem is that I have no air now. He says that I'll have to come to him later so that he can put some R12 in there. I don't think he checked for leaks or anything, but I didn't see any nor hear any hissing. The fans are coming on under the hood, but they go on and off...aren't they suppose to do that? When my engine is running hot they stay on for a while. I don't think I need a new compressor because the belt is still turning, but is there any way to determine if I need a new one since my car isn't stalling anymore? And also, if he just puts some R12 in there will things go back to normal. Oh yeah, I firgured that the rattling was just oil. It's been a little over two months since I had an oil change. I change every 3,000....I have about 500 more miles to go before I reach 3000. BTW I know I'm not suppose to work on my car unless I know what I doing, but all I ever do is little minor stuff. I change my oil, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, both oil filters, and some other minor things. But I did those things using Haynes and spending hours at a time on different threads. This was just something I over looked. But I think if I let that guy put some R12 in there and I change the oil, the rattle will be gone and hopefully I'll have some A/C...but we'll see.

njpeter
07-16-2003, 04:25 AM
or why not just send everybody on the board a dollar..and we'll all fan you, that will be more effective then putting 134 in a keihn. Those compressors simply cannot withstand 134 pressure ( about 20% higer then r-12)..No doubt the shadetree guy ( who by the way could get hit with a 25k fine for venting the r134..I didn't check if you were in the US or not)

I suggest you read every post on the board with 134 in it.

There is a minimal chance you'll get a/c...but:

1-you'll have to figure out how to get an ND compressor on your car ( no. I'm not selling any of my spares just yet)..that's going to be bracket, compressor and hoses
2-change the drier ( it's toast now)
3-get some polyalpha a/c oil from a/csource .com ( 12/134 oil does NOT mix, regardless of what the kit idiots told you. Luckily on accords the compresor is low enough to keep most of it in the compressor ( where it belongs )
4-134 takes about 75% of r12 charge ( it expands more then 12..which is why your compressor locks up)

Venting is dangerous to your wallet..EPA pays a bounty on venters...of course if your system has a slow leak..nothing can be done about that..once the system is empty, you get one legal shot at fixing it on your own..then a shop is going to have to get involved...iunless you just want to ignore the ozone layer for your own needs.

I've managed to convert all of my accords to 134..without venting..and they are blwoing really nice and cold now.

I do have a keien/dx compressor if you just want to go the r-12 route and avoid the brackets...$20 + shipping ( I'm in a generous mood today).

Bad time to try to fix the a/c..winter is much cheaper...everybody wants top bucks for parts now..but maybe somebody who's stripped off the a/c will be able to rescue you witht he bits you need.

good luck

POS carb
07-16-2003, 10:14 AM
if a/c HELPS your car cool down then that means your main fan is probably not turning on