PDA

View Full Version : will a deck effect subs drastically?

pimp86LX
06-11-2002, 05:50 AM
this is wierd, i had my subs out for a while and seeing as i got a new deck, i decided to put them back in. i double checked my wiring 3 times now and its just not kickin' the way it did with the old deck, meaning theres very little sound coming from them

are all preouts not the same?

plz help this is really frustrating

89accordlxi
06-11-2002, 09:09 AM
Ok, Are you using RCA's? How many pre outs does your deck have? Does it have a subout with its own setting. Check to make sure your deck doesn't have a separate sub setting. Also check your amp's gain.

See if that helps.

Good luck, Peace.

pimping89lxi
06-11-2002, 03:45 PM
:bandit:

Yeah some decks have different voltage preouts. What deck did you have before and which one do you have in there now?
You might want to check out the Gain on your amp, maybe its been turned down. Also check that your setting on your Deck are correct.

pimp86LX
06-11-2002, 10:21 PM
hmm well the wiring is correct, they are RCA's and theres 1 pair. i'm suspecting that its just pre out voltage

before i had a legacy II 500w and that would pound to anything, even the stock deck but i blew that and in a pinch i got just a cheap 75wx2 Koss amp. it has an itegrated crossover system and its bridgable (100w) but it just can't take it i guess. maybe its time to save for a better amp :(

ohya, i had an explod tape deck in before and i just got a kenwood KDc217s. I also think it could be that sony has the 3 levels of bass bost while the kenwood has just a normal EQ

jigga225
06-13-2002, 07:27 PM
If your new Head unit is better quality with higher output voltage, then it would be louder.
But if you went down in preamp output voltage you may have to turn the gain on the amp up to match with the new cd player.

87AccordsterLx
06-14-2002, 11:12 AM
ya.. Im thinking that you just have a lower voltage pre-out... you should also do as someone else mentioned.. go through the settings on the deck and check for the sub level out put... raise that sucker up!!! also sometimes the bass level on the deck will effect the subs bass level.... good luck!!!

pimp86LX
06-14-2002, 07:41 PM
grrrr no sub control on the deck...bahhh oh well, time for a better amp

thanks guys:super:

87AccordsterLx
06-14-2002, 10:38 PM
ya I really think a shakey 100 watts isn't going to do much... if you really like to pound your shit then go for at least 400 "real" watts... some amps are rated as a 400w amp but they only push 100 or 125 per sub.. or worse sometimes... My Interfire is pushing 400 real watts per my 2 IMPP's and before my deck was stolen it pundted like crazy... Just go for a trusted name brand amp... Fosgate, JL Audio, Krunch, even the Sony's sound pretty good... Good luck....

pimp86LX
06-15-2002, 04:52 AM
yah for real man, i had a legacy, which in my mind was good, and it was 500w...and by "real" watts are you meaning rms power? cause most amps are rated in peak power (well decks too)

my 100w is a 2 channel, so i can keep it for my 6.5's right..i mean it shouldn't have a problem with those should it?

pimp86LX
06-15-2002, 05:06 PM
ok i decided to remove my amp and subs and go through everything

now heres what all the manuals say

output impedence for my hu is <=600ohms speaker output impeadance on my amp is 8ohms...now my speakers are 4ohms a piece..now does this mean i have to wire them in series when bridged?
could this be why there not kickin very well?, my amp also says 75wx2 or 150x1 (not 100 as i had thought) bridged

now 150 should be enough, the speakers are only 250w peak

anyway can someone explain why my impedences have to match? i'm sure it has something to do with voltage drop vs. current but i can't remember my calculations so someone plz explain

thanks!

87AccordsterLx
06-15-2002, 07:41 PM
well.. when I said real watts I ment what the amp actually puts out total... Some amps will say that they push 200w but in all actuality they push 75x2 & 150x1 bridged... legacy is a well known namebrand amp but they are also known to be made cheap and thats why they dont cost a lot... if you want the lowdown on the quality of an amp post a thread on amp quality and Bob will reply with the specs... If what you are saying is that your amp will only be stable to a 8ohm load then you need to wire in series.. if thats the case then just keep it for the highs... get a new amp for the subs... how are you wiring the subs rights now??? Just so you know what I plan on doing... Being that I got my Interfire a while back.. I didnt really get time to mess w/ it before my deck got stolen but what I plan on doing now is...

I'm getting the Alpine CDA-7893 with 60x4w

I have a Fosgate Punch that is rated at 125x2 (real watts.. this amp pounded my 2 10" IMPP's) and the Interfire that is rated at 400x2 "real watts"....

I now have the new 12" IMPP's

I'm hooking up the fosgate to the 6x9's (160w each) on the rear deck ( I also have the stock 6's on the rear deck as well...

The Interfire to the two 12's ( bridged in Parallel )

And the deck will power the the two 5 1/2's and the two 1" tweeters (in the front) as well as the two 6's in the back...

YES THIS SHIT WILL POUND LIKE CRAZY!! I'm soo Happy... :D

pimp86LX
06-15-2002, 08:04 PM
ohhh okay i understand "real watts" now

that sounds like a sweet setup too!

ok my amp is 150x1 or 75x2

now i have no idea what the output impedance of my amp is.....is there a common impedance between amp brandnames? my home reciever is 8 as is my home speakers but i don't expect car audio to follow that convention simply cause thats what my set up at home is

i have 4ohm speakers...wierd in series wouldn't that make it 8ohms? and if (and i'm assuming) my amp output impedance is 8ohms can i bridge it like that?

87AccordsterLx
06-15-2002, 10:13 PM
well do you know what the model of your koss amp is??? I tried to look on the internet and I couldnt pull up anything on koss amps... I am almost positive that the amp has a 4ohm load but Im not sure if it's bridgeable to 2 ohms or not... Have you tried to bridge it and run the subs in parallel?? I dont think that the amp needs to be run at a 8 ohm load... you usually run speakers in series if the speaker can not handle the power given off by the amp.. in your case it is the opposite... almost all amps are rated at a (non-bridged) 4 ohm load..

pimp86LX
06-15-2002, 10:18 PM
yah it has nothing on it to indicated model or anything...how dumb! i bought it at Canadian Tire store...but never seen it anywere since

i have bridged them in parallel but i havn't noticed any difference than in series..i'm gettin fed up with all this stuff its being stupid, lol (or i just can't figure it out)

i will try and find my amp online....or take a pic of it (no dig camera though)

i'll see what i find

thanks

87AccordsterLx
06-15-2002, 10:25 PM
cool... I honestly would just invest in a new amp that can give you the power that you are looking for... spend $125-150 and you'll get a good amp.. just look on ebay though thats where I get all of my good deals...!!!!

pimp86LX
06-15-2002, 10:39 PM
heh heh i went out now (2:40am) and ripped my amp out and took it back in

its a Koss MA275 FCC #: 1012000563

thats all it says on it

lol this is fucked...it also says "custom manufactured in china"

why oh why do i always buy the wierdest shit!!! curses!!

pimp86LX
06-15-2002, 10:50 PM
ok that wasn't an FCC code, i just searced FCC's page and it said it didn't exist...i gotta get a pic of this

87AccordsterLx
06-15-2002, 11:13 PM
lol... I dont think its a good sign when you cant find any traces of a product... :cool: I'll try to see what I can come up with....

pimp86LX
06-15-2002, 11:16 PM
alright...check CanadianTire.ca i think their server is down but it could just be me, thats were i bought it from...also....seeing as i am definitly getting a new amp what should i buy? i don't need anything extravagant but it must power my 4ohm 250w 12" subs

87AccordsterLx
06-15-2002, 11:22 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1360448087

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1359828222

(If you are willing to pay $185 this amp will rock ends in 15min the link below is the same but it ends on the 18th..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1359871076

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1359871492

you cant really go wrong with these amps.. dont let the wattage sway you ... the fosgate is a great amp and will feel like a lot more then what it's listed at.. If you really want power... go with the 600w JBL!!!!