PDA

View Full Version : a really quick question that needs an even quicker answer

gameoner
07-15-2003, 03:41 PM
yo i hooked up a neon on the inside of my steering wheel so it shines through the honda emblem, and its a led switch, the only problem is is that i have the ground hooked up to the metal oart of the steering wheek where the horns hit, and now the led on the switch wont shut off, even when the keys of. but the question is, i know the horn has a constant flow of power, so will the light being on kill my battery, or is it just the same as having the horn?:sadwave:

NXRacer
07-15-2003, 03:46 PM
since its an LED, it doesnt draw much power so you shouldn't have a problem. The horn has constant power, but doesnt draw power unless you complete the circuit to make the horn 'honk'. You could try hooking up the switch to a switched power source (like the stereo).

I imagine you wont have much of a problem because alarms use an LED that stays on all the time and it doesn't drain the battery.

gameoner
07-15-2003, 03:54 PM
how would i run the wires from inside the steering wheel to the stereo liek you said? ill have to see what happens with the way i have it hooked up know. if it drains it it drains it, ill just have to recharge it. but just incase could you tell me how to run the wires

RustyHo88
07-15-2003, 05:49 PM
hey, while we are on the topic of wiring LED's, what kind of switch would i have to buy gin order to do the opposite of what gameowner wants to do. in other words, have a LED that only turns on when the car is off? any ideas / suggestions?

gameoner
07-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by RustyHo88
hey, while we are on the topic of wiring LED's, what kind of switch would i have to buy gin order to do the opposite of what gameowner wants to do. in other words, have a LED that only turns on when the car is off? any ideas / suggestions? my led turns off when i switch the light on that its connected to (the neons) i dont know if thats what you want, but i hope it may have helped

RustyHo88
07-16-2003, 05:32 AM
well, i could do something like that, but i dont have neon lights, so i would have to hook it up to my stereos remote wire or something like that. and for the most part, that would work i think, except that i wouldnt really be turning off the light when i was driving, i would just be dimming it by using the power from the wire to the LED for something else. i was looking more for a way to make or buy a switch that turns on when there is no remote power to it. any ideas?

HostileJava
07-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Varad makes different Security devices that work like that, three wires coming out, one is 12v, one is ground and the last get's hooked up to a 12v that is only on when the car is on.

BTW, I think this thread should be in Audio and Security.

gameoner
07-16-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by HostileJava
Varad makes different Security devices that work like that, three wires coming out, one is 12v, one is ground and the last get's hooked up to a 12v that is only on when the car is on.

BTW, I think this thread should be in Audio and Security. mine has those 3 wires coming out. its been a day so far and it hasnt killed my baterry yet. i dont know where you can hook your wire up to your stereo that would turn it on when your car is off, maybe the cigerate lighter or something

gameoner
07-16-2003, 06:41 AM
oh yeah, this is completly off topic but christina aguelaria is fuckin hot!:pimp: :smokin:

RustyHo88
07-16-2003, 08:42 AM
umm, i dont think you understood what i was trying to say, or maybe im just confused. i wanted to find a switch that would activate, meaning turn on the led light, when no power was going to it. that way, when there was power to it, it would turn off. if i could find this switch, then i could control it using an accessory remote wire, connected to the ignition switch. such as is used to turn the stereo on an off. that way, when the car is on, light is off, when car is off, light it on. :) hopefully it will work as a deterrant to would be theives looking to boost my mp3 player. whoops... shouldnt have mentioned that. :D

NXRacer
07-16-2003, 08:51 AM
I know what you're saying rusty, but i'm not sure how this would be possible. You're thinking of rigging up something like an alarm light right? I've thought about how this could be done but i havent come up with anything. I'm sure there is a way, i'm just not sure how to do it. The easiest way to go would be to buy a dummy security light. Depends on what effect you're trying to get in the end.

RustyHo88
07-16-2003, 08:57 AM
well basically, yea, i want what looks like a security light. i didnt know they sold lights like that. if so, they would have to have some kind of switch... i think. i know that switch can be done... just look at the brake light switch. when its pushed in, its deactivated, when its released, it activates. if i were an electrical engineer, making somthing like this would be easy. all it would need is some kind of gate for the power that is activated with a remote wire. that way, the power flows when the remote wire is off. hmmmmmm......ill see what they say at radio shack.

HostileJava
07-16-2003, 10:13 AM
That's what I was talking about, the lights that Varad makes are just theft deterents, there not actual security devices.

gameoner
07-16-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by RustyHo88
well basically, yea, i want what looks like a security light. i didnt know they sold lights like that. if so, they would have to have some kind of switch... i think. i know that switch can be done... just look at the brake light switch. when its pushed in, its deactivated, when its released, it activates. if i were an electrical engineer, making somthing like this would be easy. all it would need is some kind of gate for the power that is activated with a remote wire. that way, the power flows when the remote wire is off. hmmmmmm......ill see what they say at radio shack. the easiet way is to figure it out yourself. i had to with my steering wheel neons. i dont think any one ese has ever done that. at least anyone i know about. dont go to radio shack and ask them shit, they usually are stupid when it comes to wiring shit. they told me it would be impossible to hook up the neon inside the steering whell (no joke) just buy the stuff and figure it out.:super:

NXRacer
07-16-2003, 03:16 PM
I have a radio shack here in town that is owned buy a guy who is really knowledgeable when it comes to electronics and wireing stuff. Thats where i always go when i have those kind of questions.

gameoner
07-16-2003, 04:58 PM
well the people at thsi radio shack by me are stoooooooopid pooseys

RustyHo88
07-16-2003, 07:02 PM
i know what ill do... ill go talk to the people at the car audio and alarm store... they might laugh at me, but what have i got to lose? ill post more info when ive got some sort of direction.

gameoner
07-17-2003, 06:17 AM
the led on my switch drained the battery, so i ran a wire from the accesories off the ignition, and so far so good

RustyHo88
07-17-2003, 12:04 PM
i got some good info from 87DXHatch, heres a quote from a different thread.

"... those do exist, they're called SPDT relays I have one in my car... one circuit switches on when you apply power (aka, my remote wire) to it, while the other switches on when the power is taken away... you can use it to wire up like a blinking LED when your system is off to ward off thieves."

so, as we can all see, these magical switches do exist. now all i need is an LED, some wire, and a SPDT relay. woo whoo!