PDA

View Full Version : Gear-like sound

Sabz5150
07-15-2003, 05:25 PM
My engine is making an odd gear-like sound... similar to the sound the tranny makes when it's in reverse, but not as loud. It gets faster as I rev the engine, and will do it whether the transmission is in neutral or in a driving gear. The sound is near the front of the engine where the timing belt/water pump is. I've replaced both the timing belt and the pump, but to no avail. As an aside, I started to notice this sound after I replaced my timing belt.

Is this normal engine noise, or something that could go seriously bad?

AccordEpicenter
07-15-2003, 05:55 PM
it could be ps pump

1988starter
07-15-2003, 05:57 PM
could be a belt if you put belt dressing on your belts does it go away.

Sabz5150
07-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
it could be ps pump

T'aint got none of that there power steering ;)

It could be the belt, I'll look into that.

Sabz5150
07-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Well, changed the drivebelt, no go. Still there. Any other ideas what this might be?

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-25-2003, 01:50 PM
There is one more thing in the timing belt area of the engine, the oil pump. It's driven by the timing belt, could be why you noticed the sound after you changed the belt. Could it be the bearing, or pump rotors are making the noise? Don't know, but no one mentioned the oil pump, so I thought I would.:confused:

or maybe the belt tensioner?? Just guessing! LOL:huh:

k-roy
07-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Mine made a similar noise when the alternator went bad.
Some signs of this are dimmed headlights at idle and the radio cutting out.

johnwc723
07-25-2003, 03:49 PM
yeah try seeing what the voltage is on the battery (while the car is running) i think it should be around 13-14V (Cause of the charging by the alternator) also when its dark just turn on your headlights near a wall (with car on, idle) and turn it off, there should be a noticable drop in the light emitted from the headlights.

also it could be your tranny? i would se if pushing in or out the clutch effects it in the slightest and see if you can "feel" the noise in the stick