PDA

View Full Version : Blow-by in cycles

Not like a rock
07-15-2003, 08:04 PM
About a month ago, I found a bunch of oil in my air filter housing (I'm driving an EFI). So, I disconected the valve cover ventilation hose to the air piping and found that I had seriously excessive blow by coming through that hose. I changed the PCV valve, but still have a bunch of blow by. While I was waiting for a chance to get a compression test, the blow-by started to diminish (at this point I was running the valve cover ventilation hose into a small container so that oil would not get into my air filter). It was getting to the point that I thought it was fixed, when one day the engine blew out 1 liter of oil in about two hours of driving. I'm no good with the imperial conversion, but that is about one third of our engines' oil capacity.

The day after, it blew out 1/4 liter. After that, there was no excessive blow by for about a week. Yesterday, it blew out a 1/4 liter again, and today... 1 liter in half an hour (with one big hill at 4000 rpm in third).

If anyone has had this sort of behavior, let me know about it. I still haven't had the compression test. Do you think it would be rings with this sort of erratic behavior?

Thanks in advance.

pimp86LX
07-15-2003, 08:09 PM
just a guess (cause i've never had my A20 apart) but it sounds like your rings are pretty hurtin'. Do a compression test ASAP