PDA

View Full Version : Smells Like... Burning

Matty_StyLz
07-15-2003, 08:58 PM
It's been forever since I've posted here, however this is one time where I'm in need of help from fellow 3gee owners.

Ever since I got my thermostat replaced early on in the winter, there's been an odd burning smell when I come to a stop. I see smoke rising from the engine bay, but every time I go under there, I'm unable to figure out just what the hell the problem is.

It doesn't smell like oil burning, and I've checked everything that could leak. I'm thinking electrical of some sort. I'm at a loss now though. Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to sell her in the near future. :confused:

Mike's89AccordLX
07-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Well I would try seeing if it's a coolant leak from the thermostat housing. Is it white smoke or does it smell kinda sweet? the gasket might be bad on the housing. I used gasket maker silicone and it worked like a charm.

Matty_StyLz
07-15-2003, 09:10 PM
I'll give that a check. No it's not white smoke. It's got a blue tint to it. But I'm almost positive that it's not oil.

cestiii
07-25-2003, 09:32 AM
read the other post about smoke from engine compartment, it has some good answers. It is from infecto and is called
"smoke from front engine compartment" I geuss I should make retard noises now for sounding so obvious, anyway hope this helps, and don't sell it keep the 3rd gen accords alive they are one of the wickedest front drive cars with tons of support and they are relatively cheap to tune. mom has got one but I just got
92 nissan 240sx that I am gonna plug sr20det in, and convert to a sileighty. I would have done more to accord but I like rear drive a little more and all-wheel drive the best. take it easy

88' Accord Ltd
07-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Hows the coolant level? Is there a loss? Definately check out the gasket as it may be leaking from there. If you cant find it you should let me have a look at it! :)

Coitis1
07-25-2003, 12:38 PM
"Tastes like burning" lol, sorry, i had to. It's from the simpsons.

infecto
07-25-2003, 06:40 PM
I bet you $100 its the high pressure line from the power steering pump. Seems like a real common problem as the car ages. First of all check your PS fluid level and see if its draining fast. Second check the line that runs in the front of the engine right above the exhaust manifold and feel to see if its wet at all. Also look at your shield on your exhaust manifold and see if its stained by smoke/fluid burning on it. It also could be oil blowing out of the valve cover but I doubt it.

Matty_StyLz
07-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by 88' Accord Ltd
Hows the coolant level? Is there a loss? Definately check out the gasket as it may be leaking from there. If you cant find it you should let me have a look at it! :)

Well if you'd come out to one of our HAVOC meets, then I would :D

infecto
07-26-2003, 09:52 AM
Don't even comment on my suggestions ;)

KaMiKaZeE
07-26-2003, 10:59 AM
Antifreeze burning has a strong smell to it, and the coolant level would be going down. I also think it is likely the power steering fluid, I had it leak in one of mine too. Check the level of the power steering fluid and see.

Matty_StyLz
07-26-2003, 08:42 PM
I've finally got a day off tomorrow. So I'm going to go over everything and see what I can find out. I feel it's more something to do with what Mike said though.

It's too cooincidental that this started to happen the same day I got my heater core flushed and thermostat changed.

infecto
07-26-2003, 08:44 PM
I still bet $100 its the power steering line. If it was radiator fluid it would be white and smell sweet like mike said.

gscream
08-02-2003, 07:52 AM
what do you do if you think it is the power steering fluid because I lose steering fluid quickliy and there's no leak. Same with brake fluid too. I have all the same symntoms(sp?) as the guy who posted"smells like...burning".

infecto
08-02-2003, 09:17 AM
Well check that high pressure line in the front of the engine that is running from the powersteering pump see if its leaking....and brake fluid? Thats not good lol.

Matty_StyLz
08-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Well I did a good onceover of the car and found that it had absolutely nothing to do with the power steering or thermostat housing. What I'm pretty sure was happening was that I waseither getting some blowby on the ring side, or the valve stem seals were leaky and letting some oil get in.

I changed to a thicker grade of synthetic oil for higher mileage engines.. and it's stopped. :)

95AccordEXR
08-03-2003, 09:01 AM
it's probably the goop used to reseal the thermostat housing to the block... too much of it I guess. I had the same deal... white smoke coming from the thermostat area after it was replaced. it all burnt off eventually