PDA

View Full Version : Serious decision

Tweek(lx-i)
07-16-2003, 08:10 AM
Alright i want to start building a motor from the ground up but i need a motor to start with should i get another a20 motor or somthin else...plz tell me wut you guys think i should do.....I do have low income im only 17 but my dad said he would help me a little bit. :confused: Thx

NXRacer
07-16-2003, 08:19 AM
Your best bet is to probably build an A20 EFI motor. the B20a is a good motor, but they're hard to find and can be expensive. Do a search and look around. There is tons of info on building both motors.

What are your plans/goals for your car in the future?

toastyghost
07-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Yeah definitely A20A3 or B20A since anything else will need expensive mounts, axles, harness, etc. As for deciding between which stock mounted engine to go with, it's really a product of how much you want to spend and how you want to distribute your budget between rebuilding and tuning. OEM parts for the B20A are going to be more expensive since they will have to be sourced from outside of North America or cross-referenced from different vehicles. (You can talk to Carotman about what original parts from other cars were also used in the overseas B20A.) However, B20A performance parts are easier to get since you can use some regular B-series stuff like ITR pistons, H23A rods, as well as a flywheel or a slightly modified B20A5 header to name a few. Likewise, OEM for the A20A3 will be cheap since you can find a dozen or more 3g's at any junkyard, but performance stuff for the USDM stock motor will most likely have to be custom made.

bobafett
07-16-2003, 09:23 AM
there is plenty with an a20 that would be fun though. port and polish heads, good cam, balanced crank, port match manifiolds, port/polish TB, forged pistons for n20 or something. valve springs can be found if you want to be safer with a radical cam. you can get a 3anlge valve grind etc... i would stick with a20. your life will be simple. it will be easy and effective

Tweek(lx-i)
07-16-2003, 09:02 PM
alright sounds good ill prolly just find and a20 build it up i really have just planned on taking my time put the best parts for the money that i can find and because ive been wanting a project motor to see wut i can get out of it...ty for ur response if there is any ideas on wut i should to with the a20 plz let me know

toastyghost
07-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Maybe get an A20A3 quick so the car will work and then save for a B20A to build. I'm partial to the B20A just because of the limitations of a single-cam valvetrain.