PDA

View Full Version : 88 LX-i

LudeRacer
07-16-2003, 12:04 PM
i have an 88 accord lxi.. do you guys think its worth fixing up (no mods). its got alittle rust needs a head gasket and PROBABLY a new master cylinder and a new exhaust sytem (catback, stock of corse) lots of rust and holes in the exhuast.. and maybe some new wheels or hub caps. i have the money i just want to keep it and hope it will last long enough to make classic.. its only another 5 years. its got about 114,500 miles which is actually pretty good. it runs great. trans still hits hard after 15 years. ( i herd its a bad idea to change trans fluid on a car that old is that true???). spark plugs are about 8,000 miles old and still pretty shinny no extensive carbon deposits at all.. all i really NEED to fix is that gasket cuz its leaking oil. thats gonna be the most expensive part. other wise exhaust system is like 90 bucks, master cylinder is no more then 150 bucks probably (correct me if im wrong), hub caps are like 20 bucks. rust is a hundred or so (correct me again if im wrong). if you guys can give me an estimate for all this that would be great. or an idea if i should keep it.. thanx

BITESIZE
07-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Fix the head gasket, start off from there. If your car won't run very well, then you'll know whether to continue spending money on your beast. Any questions let me know.

DaveC
07-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Headgasket will cost you somewhere along the lines of 500-800$.

88' Accord Ltd
07-16-2003, 04:19 PM
The headgasket will run you up a pretty penny, its basically all for labor though. But at only 114,500 miles the car is still a baby. Guys on here have gotten 300,000+ miles on their accord with only minor repairs. IMO its worth it to fix it up. I just replaced my master cylinder and it cost me i think $70-$80 cdn, I did the work myself though. Take care of the major things first and go from there.

MrBen
07-16-2003, 04:32 PM
I've got 250,000 on mine and it's going to need a rebuild pretty soon. Rebuild is only inthe neighborhood of 800 and that's cheaper than another car.

LudeRacer
07-16-2003, 07:28 PM
well the thing is.. rite now i got zip for money.. and i am going into the airforce in less then a month and i will not be in posession of the car.. my parents will be taking care of it for the time being until i get outta tech training and physical training which should be by around december.. maybe january.. the car should be ok to sit there for that long.. i mean my parents will run it now and then and drive it every so often.. it should be ok rite??? hit me back thanx.. later

88' Accord Ltd
07-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Yeah it should be fine. Just get your parents to start it up once in a while like you said.