PDA

View Full Version : Idle = stall

89NinjaAccordLX
06-11-2002, 08:06 AM
So, my car looks nice now but it doesn't run right anymore. Isn't that always how it works? In any case, I have an automatic carbed 89 LX and whenever I take my foot off the accelerator the rpms drop to double digits and the engine stalls. Any ideas? I dont care what I have to fix. I'll fix everything anyone thinks it may be. Help!

ssophab
06-11-2002, 10:47 AM
IT COULD BE YOUR IDLE MOTOR. I HAD TO REPLACE ONE MYSELF. SAME PROBLEM: WHEN I TOOK MY FOOT OFF THE ACCEL, THE RPM WOULD DROP AND THE CAR WOULD DIE. I CHANGED IT, AND IT STOPPED HAVING THAT PROBLEM.

89NinjaAccordLX
06-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Let me also add that when my car sat just now for a while and I tried it again... it idled fine. Took it around the block and it died again. Could it have anything to do with HEAT? My temp gauge isn't working so I dunno.

ACCORD EX
06-11-2002, 01:43 PM
does it start right up after stalling ! ?

89NinjaAccordLX
06-11-2002, 01:43 PM
yep, starts right up and then stalls again once the rpms drop

ACCORD EX
06-11-2002, 01:56 PM
you mean you start is and you have to keep your leg on the gas pedal or else it stalls ! yeah ?

if so so it's propably your idle mixture screw check the faqs second page " carb question check here "

you will find the mixture scre mine once fell down and i had similat symptoms !

MIKE

shepherd79
06-11-2002, 02:40 PM
when you start, do you have your AC on or off?
if it is on i would say it is your AC going dead. i had same problem.
try to turn off AC. did it fix it?
nope.
well i am out of any ideas.

89NinjaAccordLX
06-11-2002, 03:46 PM
well... my AC has been dead for years. so its not that. I also just went out and opened the radiator cap because in the beginning of my haynes manual it says:

13. Coolant system check
1. Many major engine failures can be attributed to a faulty cooling system. If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, the cooling system also cools the transmission fluid and thus plays an important role in prolonging transmission life.

Yeah, my radiator is DRY. And the only crap in there is brown rusty looking stuff (which the manual said to immediately flush and replace) WOOEEEE I hope this is it!