PDA

View Full Version : 2geez Transmissions?

BITESIZE
07-16-2003, 01:14 PM
According to my Haynes manual (Fuel injected)84-85 accords and 84-87 preludes have the same transmissions (F4).

I already knew of the prelude transmissions.

But what about the 2geez accords? Do they really fit?

PhydeauX
07-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Yes and no. They will bolt right in, but just like the carbed prelude transmissions, your axles wont fit. If you really want one that bad you can swap a 3g diff in.

andy

BITESIZE
07-16-2003, 04:28 PM
So an (84-87 efi prelude tranny) would mount with my axles and my engine as well?

A (carb 2geez accord) wouldn't mount with my axles, but would mount to my engine?

PhydeauX
07-16-2003, 04:41 PM
The 86-87 Prelude Si trans is the only one that will work with out any modifications. All of the trannys will bolt to your block. Only ones that were originaly mated to a 2.0l motor will fit your axles. If you want to use a 1.8 tranny you need the 1.8 clutch/flywheel and either put a 2.0 diff in, or 1.8l prelude hubs and axles (I'm pretty sure they fit a 3rd gen).

andy

BITESIZE
07-16-2003, 04:46 PM
To make things easy for me and everyone else, make a list of transmissions, axles, clutches, flywheels that will mate with the
A20A3 engine.

PhydeauX
07-16-2003, 09:28 PM
Fits the 3rd gen accord:
Any 3rd gen accord or 2nd gen prelude si trans.

Needs diferent clutch/flywheel/axles but physicaly bolts to the engine:
Any 2nd gen accord trans or 2nd gen carbed prelude

Needs diferent bell housing but works with axles/clutch:
1st gen integra

These are manual transmissions only. I believe someone on the board got a prelude si auto trans to work, but had to modify the gear selector linkage. All 2nd gen accord, 2nd gen prelude, and 3rd gen accord blocks and cranks are cast from the same mold (the 2.0 is just a bored out 1.8) which is why all the tranmissions will physicaly bolt on. The integra trans happens to have the same internal layout as the accord/prelude trans. The integra's bell housing can be swaped for a bell housing from any of the aformentioned tranies provided it comes from an 86 or later model.

I'll just answer your pm here: All of these transmissions have cable clutches and rod shift linkages.

andy

BITESIZE
07-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Do (86-89 accords) carb and efi transmissions use the same axles too?

I am asking because, if I do the swap it will be a (carb tranny) into my (efi engine).

And another thing. ......how different are the gear ratios between the carb and efi transmission?

PhydeauX
07-17-2003, 07:31 AM
All 3geez have the same axles. The ratios are sportier in the efi trans, I think the actual ratios are in the faq somewhere.

andy

BITESIZE
07-17-2003, 07:35 AM
Actually, the manual transmission's driver's side axle is shorter than the automatic transmission's on 3geez.