PDA

View Full Version : can I hook up the Bose speakers that came with the 89 SE-i with my pioneer deck?

89AccordLXI666
07-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Ok I just bought my 89 Accord SE-i and noticed it came stock with the bose speakers and stereo... well I am planning on taking the stereo out and replacing it with my Pioneer cd player deck... now I heard from somewhere that bose speakers won't work with other head units other than Bose.... is that true or is that a myth?? I am going to be hooking up my pioneer deck soon and just wanted to know if the stock bose speakers are going to be compatable with my Pioneer cd player deck? Thanks guys for the info lataz... :super:

catalin
07-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Yes you can... just make sure that you connect the Pioneer blue power antenna/amp remote wire to the factory Honda harness. You will need that wire to turn on the factory BOSE amps in order to hear anykind of audio.

Sound quality may not be the greatest, you'll have to try it and listen for yourself. Give it a go and let me know how it sounds I have a couple of other suggestions for you to try if it doesn't sound that good.

87DXHatch
07-16-2003, 09:30 PM
I answered you in the other thread, but maybe catalin's idea will work... I don't know, I never tried it.

89AccordLXI666
07-16-2003, 09:36 PM
ok guys thanx 4 the info... it is very apreciated... Lataz... n e more tips just drop in a line and let me know... thank you guys.. ;-)

jigga225
07-17-2003, 12:16 PM
hey,
I wouldn't do that if I were you.
Bose speakers have very low impedance (ohms). I can't spit out the exact numbers right now, but it's too low for your headunit. Pioneers are tough, nut I wouldn't reccomend it.

I took some bose speakers from a LXi one time and put them in my car off a new panasonic unit. They sound good, but soon the unit wouldn't emit any sound out of those speakers, just a pop noise once you cut the deck on, and that was it.
CAUSE : too low impedance

HostileJava
07-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Yeah, but if it's going to an amp it shouldn't matter, right?

HostileJava
07-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Now that I think about it, it does matter, you shouldn't connect an amplified signal to the wires going to the amp. It would need to be connected to the pre amp outputs. That's assuming theres an amp powering those speakres. When I got my SE-i the stereo was ripped out so I'm not sure.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-17-2003, 05:18 PM
O.K... Now I am just confused. I am planning on getting a deck in a week, and the Bose speakers sound really good so I am keeping them, so what is the Ohm rating on the speakers??? because I am sure that you can the deck at a different ohm rate. I am looking at an Alpine deck, and I only want to deck hooked up, not the Bose amp too.

89AccordLXI666
07-17-2003, 07:53 PM
I think the bose shit sounds a lil on the sketchy side... I think I'm just going to hook up my own speakers and and my 1,600WATT amp with my subs... Is there n e thing I should be aware of if I'm hooking up my own 6x9's or how I hook up the cd player??? Please if there is n e info I should be aware of, please inform me on it... Thanx :super:

catalin
07-17-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by jigga225
hey,
I wouldn't do that if I were you.
Bose speakers have very low impedance (ohms). I can't spit out the exact numbers right now, but it's too low for your headunit. Pioneers are tough, nut I wouldn't reccomend it.

I took some bose speakers from a LXi one time and put them in my car off a new panasonic unit. They sound good, but soon the unit wouldn't emit any sound out of those speakers, just a pop noise once you cut the deck on, and that was it.
CAUSE : too low impedance

BOSE is usually 1ohm per speaker, and yes you'll kill the output of the deck if you connect straight to them.

catalin
07-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava
Now that I think about it, it does matter, you shouldn't connect an amplified signal to the wires going to the amp. It would need to be connected to the pre amp outputs. That's assuming theres an amp powering those speakres. When I got my SE-i the stereo was ripped out so I'm not sure.

There should be an amp built in either the speakers enclosures or somewhere in the car.

Well connecting an amplified signal to an amplifier usually doesn't sound all that good. There are ways to do it, like you said with pre-amp output as long as it's 4volts or more. Or speaker level(amplified) positive outputs can be connected and that will usually do the trick too.

catalin
07-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man_Se_i
O.K... Now I am just confused. I am planning on getting a deck in a week, and the Bose speakers sound really good so I am keeping them, so what is the Ohm rating on the speakers??? because I am sure that you can the deck at a different ohm rate. I am looking at an Alpine deck, and I only want to deck hooked up, not the Bose amp too.

You'll have to either use the bose amps or replace all the speakers.

catalin
07-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLXI666
I think the bose shit sounds a lil on the sketchy side... I think I'm just going to hook up my own speakers and and my 1,600WATT amp with my subs... Is there n e thing I should be aware of if I'm hooking up my own 6x9's or how I hook up the cd player??? Please if there is n e info I should be aware of, please inform me on it... Thanx :super:

Either run your own wires for the 6x9's or re-wire them at the rear location.

87DXHatch
07-17-2003, 10:43 PM
The Honda Accord Bose speakers are not 1 ohm... they are the normal 4. I ran the rear 6x9's off an amp for a good 3 months with 0 problems, and my amp would have died a very quick death if they had been 1 ohm each.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-18-2003, 03:31 PM
The Honda Accord Bose speakers are not 1 ohm... they are the normal 4. I ran the rear 6x9's off an amp for a good 3 months with 0 problems, and my amp would have died a very quick death if they had been 1 ohm each.

So from what you are saying, it sounds like I CAN hook up my deck to the speakers and run it at 4ohms.

dXsquared
07-18-2003, 03:40 PM
hmm... so if he wants to run a deck and four speakers, he is gonna have to run new wires to the speakers? you cant go throught a factory amp and your own H/U can you? man im glad i didnt get that SEi...

Travis

Hash_man_Se_i
07-18-2003, 06:57 PM
hmm... so if he wants to run a deck and four speakers, he is gonna have to run new wires to the speakers? you cant go throught a factory amp and your own H/U can you? man im glad i didnt get that SEi...

Damn, I really need to figure this out. If all I have to do is run new wires to the speakers from my head unit then ok. I can cope with that, I just need to know that will work. HELP!

And I love my se-i.. and my dad got it like 8 years ago for himself, so i get it for a whopping $1. And if I didn't have the se-i I wouldnt have a 3g I would probly have an ae86! :D

87DXHatch
07-18-2003, 07:18 PM
Yes, all you need to do is run new wires if you have an aftermarket HU... OR I'm fairly certain JC Whitney has a harness for adapting an aftermarket HU to the stock interface.

Have you tried what catalin suggested yet? That may work too... I don't know, but I do know running new wires will work, it'll just be more work.

DXHATCHBACK:
The SE-i is soooo much better than, at least, my old DX... it kicks the crap out of it, and all my audio is aftermarket, and it works great. I hardly call having to run new wires a good reason for not wanting a really nice trim-level of accord.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-18-2003, 10:24 PM
The SE-i is soooo much better than, at least, my old DX... it kicks the crap out of it, and all my audio is aftermarket, and it works great. I hardly call having to run new wires a good reason for not wanting a really nice trim-level of accord.

Ya really. And thanks for the help. I will now probly be spending around $600CDn, but hell, it will be worth it in the end. Especially when I get my subwoofer.

catalin
07-18-2003, 11:07 PM
Yes running new speaker wires will work, without a doubt. I'm sure there is a way to rewire at the location of every speaker but it will take a bit of time and patience.

Which ever is easier for you guys.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-19-2003, 11:09 AM
lol, thanks.. but its not really whats easier for me, its what costs less. I don't know the first thing about doing car audio stuff by myself so I wont try, I am leaving it to the proffesionals. What gauge wire do u guys think I should go with when getting the speaker wire redone?? 8 gauge? will it be good enough.

toastyghost
07-19-2003, 12:17 PM
My Z has a factory 1-ohm Bose Silver Series stereo. You need a Bose head or an RCA adapter for the amp, or a harness adapter something like this (http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PERGMAH21) though I don't know if the Honda Bose system will take the same harness as the Chevy one.

G Man89
07-19-2003, 02:38 PM
When I got my SE-i, I had my older brother put a Pioneer cd player in it. An old one of his for $50. He also rewired all of my speakers with 16 gauge wire compeared to 22 gauge from the factory. It sounds really nice even without the Bose amp hooked up.

87DXHatch
07-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Do NOT get 8-guage speaker wire... that would be so retarded... get 18, 16, or 14 guage... the best and easiest to run would be like 16, that would work out well.

89AccordLXI666
07-20-2003, 08:53 PM
:bow: Yeah at 1st I ran the bose speakers and bose amp with my pioneer dec(Cd player) and it worked but at volume 4 it sounded wicked loud for volume 4 plus when I turned the volume down all you heard was a hissing sound which was agrivating, plus I ran it like that for 2 days straight, nothing happened to the deck or anything, but today I finally bought some brand new speaker wire and reran it all and hooked up my pioneer 6x9's and I grounded my 1,600 watt amp with my subs and they are working at it's peak performance so I'm a happy guy now.... but yeah I most def would not recommend using your aftermarket head unit with the bose sound system, because Bose and aftermarket does not mix well together, and like jigga225 said it could mess up your head unit... thanx jigga225 for lookin out dogg I apreciate it, and thanx everyone else for the info.... but anyone who has the Bose system and wants to hook up aftermarket cd decks or cassette decks for that matter, I wouldn't recommend hooking up any Bose system with any aftermarlet stuff cuz your putting your headunit at a high risk for it to get trashed... I know rerunning the wires is gonna be a bitch and a little bit time consuming, but you'll thank yourself when your done... Well that's all I gotta say 4 now, sorry this post is so long, but you understand how that is... aight Lataz peepz. :super:

catalin
07-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Connecting an aftermarket head unit to the amps will not damage the head unit at all. It could and most definately would kill the speakers at high volume levels.

Using only the positive speaker outputs from the deck would have considerabily lower the volume to the speaker and MAY have removed the alternator whine.
This works in some vehicles and some it doesn't work in.

I've been installing for 10 years now and at times I can add a head unit without major problems.

What you did by re-wiring is the best way though. It's just sometimes people don't want to spend the extra cash on speakers/wiring/labor, so every now and then I have to come up with an alternative.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-26-2003, 01:22 AM
Do NOT get 8-guage speaker wire... that would be so retarded... get 18, 16, or 14 guage... the best and easiest to run would be like 16, that would work out well.

LOL. OK, I dont really know about the specifics and shit of car audio mostly, So this is exactly one of the reasons that I am leaving this to the proffesionals for this job. But I have now decided to buy my sub, amp, deck, and do all of it at the same time, so I will post how it goes when I have the money to do it all.