PDA

View Full Version : Radiator problem

Dave-hid
07-17-2003, 06:49 AM
hi

i have a problem, my radiator fans dont work at all and is causing overheating. the question is what do i need to buy to fix it?

BITESIZE
07-17-2003, 07:38 AM
Did you check all fuses?

Dave-hid
07-17-2003, 07:52 AM
yes
thinking it may be fan switch and/or relay

anchovies
07-17-2003, 11:28 PM
check the relay and then jump the fan switch. If it turns on then it's the switch/sensor

Mac
07-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Sounds like the switch on the bottom of radiator is bad. Disconnect plug and jumper it to see if the fan comes on with the key on.

RustyHo88
07-19-2003, 07:16 PM
first, try turning on your A/C (if you have it). if your fan motors are good, then they will turn on. if you turn on your A/C, and the fans dont come on, then either the wires arent connected properly to your radiator fans, or your fan motors are bad. if you turn on your A/C, and the fans come on, but the fans dont automatically turn on after the car heats up (without turning on the A/C), then it is more than likely the thermosensor on the bottom of the radiator right next to where the lower raditator hose connects to the radiator. hope this helps.

zero.counter
07-19-2003, 07:27 PM
To temporarily fix the prob, jump the negative lead on the A/C relay on or above the compressor to a ground on the car. The fan will turn on once the key is in the on position. Then when you start the car, both fans will turn on until you replace the temp sensor.

Dave-hid
09-05-2003, 03:08 PM
well i replaced sensor and the harness. jumped the fans and they work. could it be the thermoswitch, ECT sensor? by the way the gauge dont work either

cruznz
09-05-2003, 05:04 PM
ECT is for fuel injection,so it wont be the problem, earth the wire for the temp sender unit and check to see if gauge works,..if it does then temp unit is knackered

Have you checked the operation of the fan relays?

Dave-hid
09-05-2003, 05:20 PM
yes

Mac
09-05-2003, 05:25 PM
How did you jump the fan? Did you jumpered out the thermoswitch on the bottom of radiator? What sensor did you change?

If you changed the thermoswitch on the bottom of the radiator and you jumpered out the wiring for the same switch,(and the fan worked) I might have some bad news for you.

Did you buy the switch at a parts store? I went to 2 different parts store and bought aftermarket switches. Neither worked. I ended up going to a junkyard and pulled 1 and it worked. For some reason after market themoswitches don't seem to work too often.

If you have a multimeter you can test the new switch. Put switch in a pot of water and bring to a boil, you should get continuity on meter.

cruznz
09-05-2003, 06:13 PM
it may be a fault in the control module then,....try swapping with a known good 1