PDA

View Full Version : too much power??

bachnuts
07-17-2003, 10:06 AM
ive got about 1000 watts running off my car battery from two amps. its a new battery and everything but when its night and im bumpin down the street, the headlights, interior lights, and just about every light dim a little when the bass hits. its kind a cool effect but makes my shit look ghetto. should i get a capacitor? it may be too much but what about putting in a new battery in the trunk, and how much work would that require? any suggestions would help.

NXRacer
07-17-2003, 10:50 AM
even weakass systems will do that. A Cap should fix that problem.

Bloodlust
07-17-2003, 11:31 AM
A capacitor may not necessarily fix the problem. I have a 1000 watt kenwood running 75% and I have a 650 Kenwood 4 channel running about 400 watts total. I have a 1 farad cap and my headlights and interior and headunit dim. You can put as many caps as you want in your car, I dont care, 1,000 caps, and you still will not fix the problem. All that matters is the response speed, the time it takes to get power back to the battery. But dont get me wrong, adding a cap will surely help, but it will still dim. Hope that helps.

bachnuts
07-17-2003, 09:39 PM
what is it wexactly that a capacitor will do? i just never got into them or read anything so im not sure about them

catalin
07-17-2003, 10:05 PM
A capacitor will simply store an electrical charge, the larger the capacitor, the larger the storage capacity. In a sense it's kind of like a battery.
A capacitor is the quickets, cheapest way to upgrade the electrical system. But the reason why lights are dimming is because the alternator is not keeping up with the drain of the audio system. Adding a cap usually helps and sometimes can cure the problem depending on the car and the amplifiers.

The best thing to do is upgrade the alternator.

Adding a battery won't do anything ither than increasing your reserve playing time with the engine off.

KoNEY
07-28-2003, 10:10 PM
yea, id definitely not get a cap, i sold a cpl of lightning audio digital strike caps for $25...b/c i had them on a damn cheap-ass power acoustik fi2x-1200 amp, pushin so-called 800 w rms ar 2 ohm, and a one farad is for systems up to 1,000 watts rms, and i had TWO of em, and all i got was the ability to play my stereo w/o the engine running for a little longer than b4.....but with engine going, i got nothing...so, yeah, put bigger wire from battery-to-chassis and such, and also, stock honda alternators are good for systems up to 500 rms, so, just tell me what kind of amp u got and the model number, ill let u know how to fix it......
2 rf he 15's
punch 500a2
punch 250.2
2 punch xlc 12's
pioneer h/u
12 disc changer
all fosgate fusing
4 awg and a little bit of 8 awg wiring

KoNEY

POS carb
07-29-2003, 11:27 AM
a capacitor is a great way to add dynamic range to your amp, think of it as a quick power reserve that the amp uses when the bass hits really hard and the amp suddenly draws a large ammount of current that the batt can't send through the wires fast enough. Upgrading your alternatior is definately the best fix but caps just make it better

shepherd79
07-29-2003, 11:59 AM
read this if you don't understand stereo stuff http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

and here is what capacitor does http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/capacitr.htm

i have 550watt system and my lights don't dim at all.