PDA

View Full Version : help with strut and coilover

Eric89Carb.
07-17-2003, 06:25 PM
I need help with something i wanted to know if anyone did this before put one tociko struts with skunk coilover let me know if it works. If not waht kind of coilover will fit

BITESIZE
07-17-2003, 07:25 PM
It should work....I have tokicos struts/shocks and they should be compatible with skunks.

Eric89Carb.
07-17-2003, 07:53 PM
but would it fit did someone ever put the skunk or any coilover on the gas carged strut

Jims 86LXI HB
07-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Eric89Carb.
I need help with something i wanted to know if anyone did this before put one tociko struts with skunk coilover let me know if it works. If not waht kind of coilover will fit

Why are you after the skunk2's? On a 90+ accord you CAN get sturts that can handle them. On a 3g accord, you can't. Sad thing is as weak as Tokico H.P. struts are, you can't buy a coilover system that's soft enough to not have bounce issues. We have several members that tried to run the tokico's with Ground-Control coilovers, a coilover that is softer than the Skunk2's, and it was a horrible mis-match. They hated how the car bouced and had control issues so much that they installed Koni's and cured the problem's the tokico's created.

The skunk2 coilovers are the stiffest lowering system you can get for the 3g. 559lbs front and rear!!!
compare that to stock spring rates of 211lbs and 117lbs, that's the rates the Tokico's were designed for, the tokico's can't even behave on springs that are only 26% stiffer, and those were progressive springs, a design of spring that use's a softer initial spring rate to help the ride. Coilovers use linear springs a design that don't have that softer initial spring rate, they give out their full stiffness the moment weight it put on them.

The thing about all this, what really matters is this. What do you care about. If you don't care about how the car rides and drives, then do whatever you want. But in this one case, because of how extreamly stiff the skunk2's are, it will top the scales of bad suspension behavior if you run them with tokico struts. I have spent over 2 years researching, speaking to the techs at Tokico, KYB, Koni, Eibach, Suspension Techniques, and Progess Group. Every single strut maker will agree with what I say. I did the research cause I made the mistake of running weak struts on lowering springs, no one told me better. I'm the voice telling everyone better.

Eric89Carb.
07-17-2003, 10:20 PM
ok so jim what should i get i have no tockiko but i have gabreil struts gased chagred so what kind of coilover can fit on that before i buy it for sure

stizle
07-18-2003, 01:02 PM
i have Ractiv ecoilovers with Kyb's and they fit pretty good!

Jims 86LXI HB
07-20-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Eric89Carb.
ok so jim what should i get i have no tockiko but i have gabreil struts gased chagred so what kind of coilover can fit on that before i buy it for sure

Any 3rd gen coilover or 4th/5th gen coilover (talking about sleave type, just like your looking at) should fit. Only Ground-Control's can require you to order certain one's to match your strut brand, even then they do offer a kit to convert a existing coilover to a different brand of strut, but GC's are the only exception.

Bigger thing than, "Will the coilover fit on my struts" is what coilover are you getting? Dropzone's and Skunk2's are stunningly stiff. You run those, with your Gabrial's, tokico's, KYB's, your not going to like the ride quality, bounce bounce bounce. And as far as performance, put another accord next to yours with the same coilovers, but the right struts, that car will not only ride allot better, It'll outperform your car with it's weak struts. Now if you don't care how bad your car ride's, that's ok. But you can't say I didn't tell ya so:smokin:

dXsquared
07-20-2003, 07:59 AM
www.truckin.com

go to lowered car, then coilovers... find the accord ones and get them... you can get the low boyz, or just the sleaves.. i have the low boyz and they are real stiff, but dont bounce

Travis

chriskatana
08-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
Any 3rd gen coilover or 4th/5th gen coilover (talking about sleave type, just like your looking at) should fit. Only Ground-Control's can require you to order certain one's to match your strut brand, even then they do offer a kit to convert a existing coilover to a different brand of strut, but GC's are the only exception.

I'm looking at drop springs, not coilovers, specifically neuspeed. Will springs advertised for the prelude, 4th Gen accord, Civic or integra fit my 3G?

Jims 86LXI HB
08-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by chriskatana
I'm looking at drop springs, not coilovers, specifically neuspeed. Will springs advertised for the prelude, 4th Gen accord, Civic or integra fit my 3G?

No, when looking at springs, only 3rd gen accord springs will fit on a 3rd gen accord.

You do have a fair number of 3rd gen accord springs to choose from.

Neuspeed 1.5"
H&R 1.5"
B&G suspension 1.6"
Eibach prokits 1"
Eibach sportlines 1.4"
Tokico 1"
Suspension techniques 1"
Suspension techniques speed tech 2"
Progress Group 2"
Sprint 2.25"
Dropzone 2.25"