PDA

View Full Version : i think it's a ground problem.

Immeraufdemhund
07-17-2003, 08:18 PM
Well so i go out to check my timing in my car. I start up the car and notice that my turn signals are dimmly illuminated. (it's dark out so i can tell) When i put my foot on the brake the car has a hard hard time staying alive and it says that my brake lamp is out and all the lights come on that turn on when you turn on your lights...hmmm what does that mean... all the green little lights that turn on: one for your radio, dash board...and maybe a couple others in the display i just can't remember. Well if i leave my foot on the brake long enough the car is dead. I had this happen one other time and the car wouldn't start up so i checked under the hood and it was just the coil wire had got loose, plugged it back in and away i went. But now I DONT THINK SO! Naw if i turn on my lights, or have my foot on the brake for too long the car just dies. I also sense a little bit of a miss when the car does this. I can now tell because my back turn signal lights are turned on barely when my car does this. I'm sensing a short somewere, but i have no clue what. My first instinct is to check the back and see if that ground is dead. Or then again i dont know what to check.

second thing, When my car was ideling i tried to check the timing but i dont think i did it right or my light isn't working all that well. I have accel 8.8 in their and bosch plat 4+. With the accel coil. Would that through off my signal???

help a poor boy guys. Thanx.

A20A1
07-17-2003, 10:27 PM
Its a loose wire or connection or a crossed wire.

Double check everything that you might have spliced when you installed the coil.
A run thru of other electrical mods you've made would be nice though. :D

you might want to check the rear bulbs and see if the bulb holders are okay. Maybe pull a few fuses and se if you can get the problem to stop.

is there water in your lights?

Immeraufdemhund
07-18-2003, 04:39 AM
umm, actually there is water in my lights both in the back and in the front lamps.
elec mods:
accel 8.8 wires
super stock coil

that's it. Everything is still being left alone. I'll go through the connections here in a little bit with my buddy, i just can not figure this out.

NXRacer
07-18-2003, 07:28 AM
it almost sounds like your altenator isnt working right. When your car runs off your battery, everything is dim. Did you have hard time getting it running? If you can limp down to a battery shop, have them run a charging system check. They could probably tell ya whats wrong.

A20A1
07-18-2003, 11:55 AM
I thought he was saying that the lights came on dim but he didn't actually turn on the lights.

Immeraufdemhund
07-18-2003, 10:50 PM
nah. Ok i got it fixed, and sorry about my confusing language. When the car was turned on my turn signals would come on but very dimly. (they are not supposed to be on unless i turn them on) So istarted looking at the parts that caused the car to stall. 1st head lamps. They are doing good. Then next was the ground for my lamps in the back. Well that's what was causing me all my troubles. The ground cable was barely hanging on it. I forgot to tighten it back up when i tore apart the back of my car. So a little bit of cleaning and a good tightening and i haven't had a problem since. I hate bad grounds.