PDA

View Full Version : WOW!!! fuel filters

HondaBoy
07-17-2003, 08:24 PM
i thought i would replace my fuel filters tonight because its been years since they were changed. maybe they were original. they werent too increadibly bad, but needed a change. it was about $5 for the rear one and $7 for the one under the hood. they were fairly easy to change considering it was dark and i only had an old shop light. only problem i had was not having another needle nose vise grip. i only had one, and a big C clamp vise grip. anyway, it worked alright. i checked the lines and they are nice. i took it out to give it a test drive. when i floored it, there is now a noticeable increase in response and power. i took off from a stop light and it pulled realy well, much better than before. on the freeway, passing was much easier and going up the hill of the over pass was better pull. i think i will be replacing some other stuff. i would highly reccomend replaceing your fuel filters because its pretty easy and is good for the engine.

toastyghost
07-18-2003, 07:32 AM
it's amazing what simple stuff like clean fuel can do for driveability :D

POS carb
07-18-2003, 08:18 AM
yea most loss of power comes from poor fuel delivery or bad ignition, check up on that too, maybe you'll find some more horses in a box of new plugs

Justin86
07-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Yea I need to do the same here.

86AccordLxi
07-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Me too...i've got one sitting in the trunk (it's been there for almost 2 months) that I still haven't replaced yet. Mebbe this weekend.

Alex

bobafett
07-18-2003, 01:00 PM
same here alex! mine has been out in my storage since i moved to vancouver lol... i need to change that bitch

86AccordLxi
07-18-2003, 01:06 PM
We should have a fuel filter changing party!

no, never mind, that's stupid :)

Alex

bobafett
07-18-2003, 01:47 PM
aahahh lol...

what i NEED is a convince amber to switch tires with me party... :D

that way i can run MY stock tires, and she can run the ones i bought off you. :D

86AccordLxi
07-18-2003, 01:55 PM
Haha...too bad she doesn't drive hard...she'd have fun with those tires, though they're pretty grippy in the wet.

Alex

bobafett
07-18-2003, 04:11 PM
the damn shitty tires i have on there now squeal like a bitch when i am barely cornering hard at all.. like coming onto freeway onramps ETC... its hillarious... :)

adams86lxi
07-18-2003, 10:29 PM
mine really needs to be changed too, I asked my dad (since it used to be his)and he said that the last time it was changed was about 6 years ago maybe more. I really need to change it soon!:)

erics86dx
07-19-2003, 12:20 AM
yeah I have only changed the one in the engine bay so far and its workin better, much better. When I got my car it was owned by some other kid who didnt really take car of it, Judging by the way the other one looked and the one thats under the car its been a long time, ill be doin mine later today hopefully.

87accordlxph
07-19-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by bobafett
the damn shitty tires i have on there now squeal like a bitch when i am barely cornering hard at all.. like coming onto freeway onramps ETC... its hillarious... :)

You probably need an alignment done to fix that.

-Mike from Sarnia!

bobafett
07-19-2003, 08:42 AM
well i didnt say i was doing the SPEED LIMIT when this happens! :) im just not used to it, since i had 17's with niiice tires, and now i have stock pretty much bald tires on the front. :)

but once i get new wheels i will get alignment and drop the car down lower once and for all.

Justin86
07-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Burnout tires sure are fun. :)

HondaBoy
07-20-2003, 10:44 PM
i think i will replace the cap and rotor next. the plugs and wires are new. i think it need the timing adjusted. ill get that done when the tune up is done. along with new belts.

BITESIZE
07-20-2003, 10:45 PM
You should change your blinker fluid too.

But really, I noticed an improvement when the fuel filter was changed too.

njpeter
07-21-2003, 03:13 AM
I've done my numerous times over my 300,00 miles driving...

some tips:

1-fire extingisher handy..fuel always seems to spill..and it does burn yanno
2-10mm 6 point socet and appropriate ratchet ( the rear filter is in a housing, I suggest you don't cheat and just let it hang there where it can be smashed by road gravel
3-open gas cap to relieve gas tank pressure
4-some good pliers to get the idiot c-clips off the lines
5-latex gloves if possible ( gas is just not good for the skin)
6-use a jackstand and remove the left rear tire for the rear filter..(easier)

For fuel injection there is a pressure relife valve someplace under the hood..fule line pressure is around 10psi..it can ( and will ) squirt gas right into your eye.

best tip..don't buy gas at a no-name station or if you notice the tanker is just leaving, arriving or on the station. When tanks are filled..all the crap on the bottom gets stirred up and you are assured of problems.

StUpiD8000
08-04-2003, 02:20 PM
What size or whatever is the rear filter or dose FI cars have two filters?. I got the front one but I cant find what size the rear one is(if there is one)

infecto
08-04-2003, 02:28 PM
FI models only have one filter and that is the one in the front.

johndej
08-04-2003, 02:51 PM
really? how often do those need to be changed? i've been tuning my car up slowly and that sounds like something i can do while changing the tranny oil.

MIK3
08-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Yeah. I heard every 80k or so. Can someone please post pictures of where these 2 filters are located??

deadlight
08-06-2003, 03:19 AM
I don't have pictures, but your rear fuel filter will be up against the fuel tank, I think you have to remove your left rear wheel to get to it, the front one is on the driver's side of the engine bay, your fuel lines are red braided hose, so you can just follow from the carburator if you still can't find it.

MIK3
08-06-2003, 10:46 AM
Sweet. I know exactly where your talking about. Thanx for the help.

HondaBoy
08-10-2003, 12:08 PM
the honda repair manual says replace fuel filters every 4 years or 60,000 miles or 96,000 kilometers. and also replace if you think the filter is messed up or restricting your fuels flow. that was my case.

deadlight
08-11-2003, 03:34 AM
Mine was still stock when I changed it and the car sat for two years before I got it running, so I had two year old gas running through it for awhile, and that wasn't nice on it either, it had 144,000 miles on it to top it off.