PDA

View Full Version : Possible amp and sub configuration

danronian
07-17-2003, 09:15 PM
I have been searching both used and new places and I think I found a pretty decent combo to replace my dual 10 jensen bandpass box and 200 watt optimus amp. I am mainly looking for something louder then the past jensens and that will last more then a few months.

Possible Amp: Profile CA series CA400, Bridged RMS Power: 300 watts, RMS at 2 Ohms: 160 X 2, $119.99(crutchfield)

Possible Sub:(I know this isn't the best sub, but for the money I don't know of what would be better.) Visonik 6s4, 12", RMS: 60-300 watts, $59.99(crutchfield)

Any suggestions or comments would be great. I don't know of many people who have Visoniks, but from what I have heard about them it has all been good.

catalin
07-17-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by danronian
I have been searching both used and new places and I think I found a pretty decent combo to replace my dual 10 jensen bandpass box and 200 watt optimus amp. I am mainly looking for something louder then the past jensens and that will last more then a few months.

Possible Amp: Profile CA series CA400, Bridged RMS Power: 300 watts, RMS at 2 Ohms: 160 X 2, $119.99(crutchfield)

Possible Sub:(I know this isn't the best sub, but for the money I don't know of what would be better.) Visonik 6s4, 12", RMS: 60-300 watts, $59.99(crutchfield)

Any suggestions or comments would be great. I don't know of many people who have Visoniks, but from what I have heard about them it has all been good.

Get a bigger amp and run the Jensens off it. You'll notice a big difference. The Optimus is quite a low end brand. The bandpass box will play the loudest out of any other designs but it requires alot of power to make it work well.

I'd say try a higher end amp first and see how you like that. You can always replace the subs/box later on down the road.

danronian
07-18-2003, 07:40 PM
The thing is... one of the jensen 10's are already blown(the one makes a loud knocking noise), so I sold the bandpass box and put the good jensen 10" in a sealed box. I like how it sounds with it working off of the bridged optimus amp with the sealed box, but until I really turn the HU up I dont think it's loud enough, but since the jensens are rated at 250 rms, 750 peak, I dont think I should put any bigger of an amp on the jensen without overpowering it(also considering that the one jensen already blew with the small optimus amp running in 2 channel mode).

Any more comment/suggestions?

At the local used parts place I found:

MTX audio 2-channel amp thunder302 for $70 here is one: http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/archive/thunder302.cfm
It looks like a good deal to me considering a new thunder342 (the closest new model to the thunder302) is $250. But do these amps actually put out the power they claim and are they durable?