PDA

View Full Version : what would happen?

jlaccord89lxi
07-18-2003, 08:38 AM
what would happen if you were driving and your timing belt snapped? Would this actually happen?

NXRacer
07-18-2003, 08:43 AM
It can and does happen. It'll happen to you if you dont get it changed regularly (every 60,000miles or so).

If it does break, it will royally fuck your motor. Our motors are interferance engines and if the timing belt breaks while its running, the valves will more then likely smash into the top of the piston, causing valve damage and possibly holes in the top of your piston.

If you get off easy, you'll have some bent valves. If you get screwed, you'll have pistons with holes in the top.

jlaccord89lxi
07-18-2003, 08:54 AM
is there any way to inspect the timing belt?

A20A1
07-18-2003, 11:57 AM
Take off the timing belt cover and rotate the crank counter clockwise to spin the belt so you can inspect the teeth and stuff. :D
I think the crank uses a 19mm socket.

NXRacer
07-18-2003, 11:59 AM
check for cracks and other signs of long wear. They say that if you cant see the writing on the belt from the manufacturer, its time to replace your belt. Thats just something i've heard.

jlaccord89lxi
07-18-2003, 02:32 PM
well i looked at it and it seems fine to me. I have the new one here so i compared the 2. Other than the fact that the new one is still in a bag, the old one looks fine compared to the new one. I'm taking a fairly short trip tomorrow (2.5 hours one way) and i wanted to replace it cause i don't know when it was done, but it could have been done a week before i bought the car for all i know. It should be fine. Thanks for the help, i'll get it replaced when i get back.

NXRacer
07-18-2003, 03:13 PM
If it looks that good it shouldnt be a problem. I drove mine forever w/out changing it and it never caused a problem. Better safe then sorry though.

POS carb
07-18-2003, 03:14 PM
mine snapped and nothing really happened... interference engine? I doubt it but if it is my auto trans saved me from some problems